This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9013 / 51°54'4"N
Longitude: -2.0753 / 2°4'30"W
OS Eastings: 394917
OS Northings: 222531
OS Grid: SO949225
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.Q5D
Mapcode Global: VH947.ZG7T
Entry Name: 202 and 204, High Street
Listing Date: 13 August 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474786
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NE HIGH STREET
630-1/9/410 (South West side)
13/09/96 Nos.202 AND 204
2 shops. c1820-40 with later alterations including those
c1890s to left; ground-floor shop fronts to main facade c1960s
and 1980s. Stucco over brick with concealed roof and iron
balustrade. Alterations to left in Art Nouveau style.
EXTERIOR: main range at right has 3 storeys, 4 first-floor
windows, with 2- and 3-storey range to left with blind first
floor and curved around corner. Main range: first- and
second-floor bands; crowning frieze, cornice and blocking
course. First floor has 2/2 horizontal-pane sashes; second
floor has 6/6 sashes. Ground floor has plate-glass shop
windows and doors. Corner to right is rounded. Right return
has 2 first-floor windows, fenestrated as main facade. Rear
retains 6/6 sashes.
Range to left: Blind upper stages. Ground floor has plate
glass window and glazed entrance; broad canopy curving around
corner suspended from brackets; late C19 frieze and cornice.
Rear: retains Art-Nouveau shop front with 3 slender mullions
with curved motif to upper part; left end fluted pilaster.
Continuous frieze and cornice. First floor has blind window
with tooled architrave.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: continuous balustrade surmounts canopy
and has Art Nouveau detailing.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the plot appears to be built upon on
Merrett's Map of 1834. By the time George Rowe wrote his
Cheltenham Guide in 1845, the High Street comprised shops,
boarding houses and hotels.
Occupies a prominent corner site and frames one of the
entry-ways to the parish Church of St Mary, Church Street
(qv). The detailing to the rear of No.202 corresponds to that
on the adjacent No.200 High Street (qv). The Art Nouveau
detailing is similar to that of No.52 Promenade (qv).
(Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide 1850: Cheltenham:
1845-1969; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-).
Listing NGR: SO9491822529
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings