History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Risley, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9168 / 52°55'0"N

Longitude: -1.3145 / 1°18'52"W

OS Eastings: 446189

OS Northings: 335707

OS Grid: SK461357

Mapcode National: GBR 7GL.4GZ

Mapcode Global: WHDGW.SY78

Entry Name: The Grammar School

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Last Amended: 2 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334830

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82282

Location: Risley, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Civil Parish: Risley

Built-Up Area: Sandiacre

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Risley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Risley

Listing Text

PARISH OF RISLEY DERBY ROAD
SK 46 NE
2/96 (North Side)
2.9.52 The Grammar School
GV II (formerly listed as
Lower Grammar School)

School. c1720, endowed by Elizabeth Grey of Risley Hall in her
will of 1720. Red brick, on sandstone ashlar plinth with
chamfered copings, and sandstone dressings. Steeply pitched
plain tile roof, slightly bell canted to eaves, with rounded
stone copings and plain brick kneelers to gables, plus stepped
and dentilled brick cornice. Single storey plus garret and four
bays. Main elevation has steps up to a central doorcase which
has a wide, raised, plain stone surround with a chamfered inner
edge and below, double panelled doors. The doorcase is set in a
tall flat headed recess of similar width to the doorcase and
similar height to the very tall windows on either side. There
are two very tall 2-light windows to either side, each almost
the full height of the building with timber mullions and double
transoms, under wedge stone lintels. Fenestration is C20 leaded
lights either fixed or casements. West and east gable walls
have similar central windows with a dentilled band at eaves
level and 2-light garret windows with dentilled dripmoulds,
western garret window has its original brick mullion. C20
lean-to to rear. Interior has no original features. This
building forms a pair to the Latin College which stands the
other side of the School House. The Derbyshire Victoria County
History states that this school was built in 1758 but the
building appears on a map of 1722 which is housed in Derbyshire
County Record Office.


Listing NGR: SK4618935707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.