History in Structure

Church of St Mary Magdalen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hayton, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.9115 / 54°54'41"N

Longitude: -2.7692 / 2°46'8"W

OS Eastings: 350786

OS Northings: 557692

OS Grid: NY507576

Mapcode National: GBR 9C3N.85

Mapcode Global: WH7ZZ.FTL4

Plus Code: 9C6VW66J+J8

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335622

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78037

ID on this website: 101335622

Location: The Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Hayton, Cumberland, Cumbria, CA8

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Hayton

Built-Up Area: Hayton

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Hayton St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



Church of St Mary
1.4.57 Magdalene

Church. On medieval site, present church dated 1780 with Latin inscription over
entrance; side chapel 1793 for Graham family, chancel rebuilt 1842 (dated on
interior inscription stone), restoration 1888. Red sandstone coursed rubble on
chamfered plinth has ashlar quoins with V-shaped joints and shaped cornice;
graduated slate roof with coped gables and kneelers. Small square 3-storey west
tower/porch; 5-bay nave with north 3-bay side chapel, having separate stepped
entrance; 2-bay chancel has north vestry. Tower has plank door with alternate
block surround and keyed entablature, round arched window with similar bell
opening above with wooden louvred vents; clock faces to 3 sides; battlemented
parapet with pointed corner pinnacles. Nave has round arched windows with
projecting impost blocks and false keystones; wall sundial. Side chapel has
similar windows, entrance has pilaster strip surround and false keystone.
Chancel has similar windows. Interior: open timber ceiling supported on shaped
corbel stones: side chapel screen of elliptical arches on clustered circular
columns: pews and furnishings all late C19 or early C20. Stained glass by
Charles Evan of London 1888 and W.H.A. Ward, London 1907. Porch has internal
door with radial fanlight. Side chapel has white marble wall plaques to the
Grahams of Edmond Castle. 0.S. Bench mark on tower quoin.

Listing NGR: NY5078657692

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.