History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hayton War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Hayton, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9114 / 54°54'41"N

Longitude: -2.7696 / 2°46'10"W

OS Eastings: 350755

OS Northings: 557685

OS Grid: NY507576

Mapcode National: GBR 9C3N.55

Mapcode Global: WH7ZZ.FTC6

Entry Name: Hayton War Memorial

Listing Date: 3 September 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1457979

Location: Hayton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Hayton

Built-Up Area: Hayton

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920.

Description

First World War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: sandstone from Shank quarry.

DESCRIPTION: Hayton War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Mary Magdalen Church, Hayton, Cumbria. It is prominently situated close to the churchyard walls. It comprises a wheel-head sandstone cross on a tall, bowed shaft, with a sloping low base. The cross head and the upper half of the shaft are decorated with strap work carving. The lower half of the shaft bears the inscription in relief-carved lettering.

The inscription reads: IN EVER LIVING/ REMEMBRANCE OF/ (NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ "SO THEY PASSED OVER/ AND ALL THE TRUMPETS/ SOUNDED FOR THEM/ ON THE OTHER SIDE."

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Hayton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Hayton War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates 17 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. A roll of honour in the church suggests that 59 men had served.

The memorial was designed by Carlisle-based architect, J W Benwell and made by Messrs J and R Bell of Nelson Street, Carlisle. A faculty was granted for the memorial’s erection in June 1920. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated 14 November 1920 by Archdeacon Campbell, Diocesan Chancellor.

Reasons for Listing

Hayton War Memorial, which is situated in St Mary Magdalen Churchyard, Hayton, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-executed sandstone Celtic cross with carved decorative details.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Mary Magdalen and the Grade II-listed Churchyard Railings, Wall, Gates and Gatepiers, west of the Church, the Grade II-listed Hayton School and Grade II-listed Norman House.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.