This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2798 / 51°16'47"N
Longitude: 1.0827 / 1°4'57"E
OS Eastings: 615084
OS Northings: 157922
OS Grid: TR150579
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.QK3
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.Q366
Entry Name: Christchurch Cathedral
Listing Date: 3 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336823
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170528
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
TR 1557 NW 5/1 3.12.49
The original church on the site was one built for Roman CHristians. St Augustine reconsecrated theis church in 602 AD. The Present building is a mixture of building styles from the C11 to the present day. The exterior is built mainly of Caen stone. On the East side some Romanesque arcading is visible though most of the stone work dates from 1175-84, built by WIlliam of Sens and WIlliam the Englishman, or form the late C14 to Mid C15 rebuilding. The south-west tower was built in 1424-34, the north-west tower is a replica of this built in 1832-41. THe central "Bell Harry" tower of brick faced with stone was built between 1494 and 1503 and is one of the first brick structures. 7 bay Nave with clerestory, built between 1378 - 1410.
Choir and Corona built by William of Sens and William the Englishman. Very fine early Romanesque crypt of 10 bays and Chapel of OUr Lady of the Undercroft.
Listing NGR: TR1511457922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings