This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2417 / 52°14'30"N
Longitude: 0.7172 / 0°43'1"E
OS Eastings: 585615
OS Northings: 263870
OS Grid: TL856638
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.G4M
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.DX0C
Plus Code: 9F426PR8+MV
Entry Name: 15, Crown Street
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342748
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466775
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NE CROWN STREET
639-1/11/303 (East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
House. C16 and later, extended and fronted in the early C19.
Timber-framed, faced in white brick, rendered rear; C20
plaintiles. Complex form, with several rear extensions. A
small hipped wing projects from the south end of the front. An
internal chimney-stack has a plain white brick shaft.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics; 3-window range in all. The
white brick front has a high panelled parapet and a heavy
moulded stucco cornice and frieze; shallow panels with plain
flat pilasters enclose the windows, all 12-pane sashes in
plain reveals with flat gauged arches and projecting stone
sills, except for one blank, and one upper window on the north
side of the wing which has a flush cased frame. A
segmental-headed dormer has a small-paned window.
The entrance door has a distyle porch within the angle of the
front and the wing which has fluted Doric columns and a heavy
plain entablature. 2 small gabled wings with plain bargeboards
at the rear, and a 2-storey extension in brick and flint, part
rendered, with a shallow-pitched slate roof. This has a
datestone in the gable end with 'I.M. 1844' on it. This is
probably for James Miller (cf. White's Directory of Suffolk,
INTERIOR: the walling of the cellar includes kidney flint and
stone blocks and a semicircular arched ceiling of Tudor brick.
Above ground, the layout was much remodelled in the early C19
when the internal chimney-stack was inserted. Several C18
softwood beams. On the north side the frame overlaps with
No.14 (qv), and part of one C16 main beam has a double ogee
Listing NGR: TL8561563870
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings