This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2473 / 52°14'50"N
Longitude: 0.7226 / 0°43'21"E
OS Eastings: 585959
OS Northings: 264504
OS Grid: TL859645
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.3HT
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.GSV3
Entry Name: Eastgate House
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343602
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466818
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: St James Bury St Edmunds
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564NE EASTGATE STREET
639-1/4/347 (South side)
House, now divided into sheltered flats. C17 core; early C19
front; extensively modernised in the late 1980s. Part
timber-framed and rendered with old plaintiled roof; the main
range fronted in white brick with a hipped slate roof, wide
eaves cornice and paired mutule soffit.
EXTERIOR: part 2-storey, part 3-storey; set sideways-on to the
street. The 3-storey range has 3 windows to each storey,
arranged 1:1:1 with the centre breaking forward slightly: all
sashes in plain reveals with flat gauged arches and projecting
stone sills, 12-pane to the 1st storey, deeper 12-pane,
reaching to ground level, to the ground storey. 6-pane to the
2nd storey, with vertical glazing-bars only. A raised stone
band runs at sill level below the 1st storey windows.
The central entrance has columns in antis and a segmental
fanlight with intersecting glazing bars. Door with 6 raised
fielded panels. The north side is directly on to the street.
Rendered, with a single sash window to the ground and 1st
storeys, both sashes in flush cased frames, 12-pane to the
upper storey, 16-pane to the lower.
A plaque on one side reads: 'Sir Thomas Hanmer, Speaker of the
House of Commons, born 1677, died 1746'. The 2-storey range to
the south is rendered, with 3 sash windows, irregularly
spaced, to the 1st storey: two 16-pane, one 12-pane, all in
flush cased frames. A deeper 12-pane sash to the ground storey
in a cased frame with slight reveals. On the right, a 6-panel
door with the top 2 panels glazed in a moulded and eared
INTERIOR: few features prior to the early C19 survive inside.
The whole range was originally timber-framed; the line of the
original wallplate in the brick-fronted section is just below
the tops of the 1st storey windows.
Listing NGR: TL8595964504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings