This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9232 / 50°55'23"N
Longitude: -3.1077 / 3°6'27"W
OS Eastings: 322239
OS Northings: 114328
OS Grid: ST222143
Mapcode National: GBR M1.Q0J5
Mapcode Global: FRA 46CN.R45
Plus Code: 9C2RWVFR+7W
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271218
Location: Otterford, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA3
Civil Parish: Otterford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST21SW OTTERFORD CP
8/50 Church of St Leonard
Parish church. C14, restored, nave wall rebuilt and north aisle added 1860-1, restored 1924. Squared and irregularly
coursed chert stone, limestone and Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay north aisle and
nave, chancel set askew, north-east vestry. Crenellated 2-stage tower, string course and gargoyles, diagonal buttresses
rising to a 2-light cinquefoil headed bell openings, 3-light west window, moulded west doorway with continuous
hoodmould, uncrenellated north-east stair turret; 2-light windows flanking gabled single storey porch, half-glazed
double doors, sundial dated 1826 inscribed 'Our days on the earth are as a shadow", double roll moulded pointed arch
inner doorway with date 1641 scratched on left jamb, offset buttress at junction with chancel, 2-light windows flanking
priests door, 3-light east window, lancet on north front, single storey vestry, 2-light east window to buttressed north
aisle, two 2-light windows to north front, another 2-light at west end. Interior; rendered. Perpendicular panelled
chancel arch, tower arch chamfered in 2 orders, C19 3-bay arcade with corbel faces of king and queen on responds.
Chancel roof: C16 ribbed barrel vault with wallplate, C19 archbraced roof to north aisle and to chancel. Mid C19
fittings, including numbered benches with some sittings designated free, Jacobean altar table, Minton tiled sanctuary;
3 C17 tomb slabs. Tablet to William Brandon of Otterhead House (demolished), died 1854, signed G Wood of Bristol.
Tablet to John Banks, died 1769. (Kellys Directory, 1914).
Listing NGR: ST2223914328
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings