This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7349 / 51°44'5"N
Longitude: -0.3271 / 0°19'37"W
OS Eastings: 515619
OS Northings: 205345
OS Grid: TL156053
Mapcode National: GBR H8J.24B
Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.8NYD
Plus Code: 9C3XPMMF+X5
Entry Name: Sopwell House
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347122
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163229
Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Sopwell
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Albans St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
1582 COTTONMILL LANE
TL 10 NE 24/125 8.5.50.
Early C18 manor house which incorporated an earlier building on the site,
not now visible; and was altered and extended early C19. Now 3 storeys,
8 windows in irregular front broken forward in 2 left bays (the original
building) and further forward in the 6th bay which contains the entrance.
Low pitched, slate roof concealed by parapet, whole front stuccoed with
bands below parapet and at 1st and 2nd floor levels. All windows recessed
sashes with glazing bars in plain reveals, segment headed except for those
on ground floor left of entrance which are round arched.
Round arched entrance with impost blocks and keystone on which rests a
thin cornice hood also supported by lions' masks above wide, panelled,
modified pilasters. Deeply recessed door to lozenge-shaped hall with door
openings in the 4 long sides. These have semi-circular tympana above,
with allegorical figures in modallions. Shallow, 8-part groin-vaulted
ceiling. All ground floor rooms have ornamental cornices, some with
modillions or with anthenion pattern and guilloche moulding. Early C18
staircase with turned balusters. A one-storey, 2-window extension to the
right front of the building abuts on a large, set-back, stuccoed, round
arch with architrave and keystone framed by an order, with paterae in
spandrels, surmounted by cresting with paterae and garlands, and urn finial.
A one-storey, 2-window lodge adjoins the arch at right, balancing the
extension to left of arch. Both returns to arch have door in panelled
reveal, with pilasters and wide cornice hood on curved brackets. Windows
similar to those of main block.
Listing NGR: TL1561905345
Other nearby listed buildings