This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1896 / 52°11'22"N
Longitude: -2.5087 / 2°30'31"W
OS Eastings: 365323
OS Northings: 254716
OS Grid: SO653547
Mapcode National: GBR FV.4B9W
Mapcode Global: VH856.G7M9
Entry Name: 1 and 3, Old Road
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 2 March 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151045
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/217 OLD ROAD
1 AND 3
(Formerly listed as:
1 AND 2)
A timber-framed building containing two dwellings. It dates from the second half of the C16.
MATERIALS: The main range is a timber frame with brick infill. Rear ranges are of brick. It has a tiled roof.
PLAN: The main range is orientated east-west, parallel with Old Road. There are two further ranges projecting perpendicularly to the rear, the eastern of which has an adjoining third range.
EXTERIOR: The two-storey principal facade and the east gable end of the main range is small timber-framing with some diagonal braces. The truss on the gable end has an extra member where the front leaf of the roof has been raised. There are five casement windows, irregularly positioned within the frame, on the principal elevation. There is a low door on the far right. There is a shop front to the left with a large canted bay window and a door to the right, with a projecting slate hood. The west gable end is rendered at the bottom and has weather boarding to the top. The eastern rear range has three bays, casement windows and a dentil cornice.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. Nos. 1-3 Old Road is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town, which runs east from the vicarage and church. It is a continuation of Cruxwell Street, which was known as Corkeswalle Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Croxewalle Streate in 1575. It becomes Old Road at the junction with the High Street, and was known as Sheep Street in the early C20. This central area of the town to the south west of the church appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
Nos. 1-3 Old Road is described in the statutory list as dating from the second half of the C16. There is evidence in the timber frame to show that the front leaf of the roof has been raised.
Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: Nos. 1-3 Old Road, a timber-framed, C16 dwelling with later extension is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: a good example of the vernacular traditions of the area and an attractive, well-preserved exterior
* Intactness: the principal facade and plan is largely unaltered
* Early date: it is an early building in a national context, and retains a large proportion of its historic fabric
* Group value: it makes a positive contribution to the street scene and has group value with other nearby listed buildings
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings