This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1897 / 52°11'22"N
Longitude: -2.509 / 2°30'32"W
OS Eastings: 365298
OS Northings: 254723
OS Grid: SO652547
Mapcode National: GBR FV.448R
Mapcode Global: VH856.G7F7
Entry Name: 12, Old Road
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 2 March 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349645
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151049
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/222 OLD ROAD
(Formerly listed as:
An early-C19 dwelling of two storeys and one bay. It is orientated parallel with Old Road and has a gabled extension to the rear. It is brick with a stone plinth, slate roof and brick chimney stack.
EXTERIOR: At ground-floor level the principal facade has a door to the left and window to the right. The door has fielded panels, the two at the top are glazed. It has a moulded door-case with pilasters and pediment. The window is a canted bay with four-over-four hornless sashes and two-over-two sashes to the returns. There is a window at first-floor level in line with the ground floor; it is a four-over-four sash with an exposed frame flush with the facade, and a painted flat arch. There is a string course below each of the two windows. There is a cornice with widely-spaced dentils at the eaves. There is a chimney stack at either end of the pitched roof which is shared with the adjacent buildings.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No. 12 Old Road is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town, which runs east from the vicarage and church. It is a continuation of Cruxwell Street, which was known as Corkeswalle Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Croxewalle Streate in 1575. It turns into Old Road at the junction with the High Street and it was known as Sheep Street in the early C20. This central area of the town to the south and west of the church and around the market place appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: No. 12 Old Road, an early-C19 dwelling is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: it is a good-quality building with elaborate architectural details such as the door case and bay window
* Intactness: the principal elevation is particularly well-preserved, retaining much historic fabric
* Group value: with other neighbouring and nearby Grade II listed buildings
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings