History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Godwald

A Grade II Listed Building in Aston Fields, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3243 / 52°19'27"N

Longitude: -2.0462 / 2°2'46"W

OS Eastings: 396945

OS Northings: 269580

OS Grid: SO969695

Mapcode National: GBR 2G4.CGL

Mapcode Global: VH9ZL.HV31

Plus Code: 9C4V8XF3+PG

Entry Name: Church of St Godwald

Listing Date: 25 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1356762

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476991

Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B60

County: Worcestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Aston Fields

Built-Up Area: Bromsgrove

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Bromsgrove

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bromsgrove

Description

SO 96 NE FINSTALL ROAD, Aston Fields

666/6/10015 CHURCH OF ST GODWALD

II

Anglican church. 1883-4; by John Cotton. Red sandstone ashlar with Bath stone dressings. Clay plain tile roofs with coped gable ends. PLAN: Nave, chancel, south transept with vestry in east angle, and south porch with bellcote. Victorian Gothic style, in a style of circa 1300. EXTERIOR: The nave has 2-light windows with Geometric tracery on the south side and plate tracery on the north side. The south transept has large 2-light Geometric traceried window with flanking lancets, and similar window on west end of nave. Chancel east window is of three lights with Geometric tracery. The south porch has a timber bellcote over it. INTERIOR: Yellow brick walls, partly painted over. 3-bay nave roof with arch and scissor braces, on carved stone corbels. Moulded stone chancel arch and 2-bay arcade to south transept. Common-rafter-and-collar chancel roof. Seating including choir stalls and altar rail intact. Gothic carved stone reredos of 1924 by Celestino Pancheri; ornate marble Gothic font of 1897; D-Day memorial by Robert Pancheri. Stained glass east window, and in south transept a window by A.E. Lemmon. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.153.

Listing NGR: SO9694569580

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.