This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3658 / 51°21'56"N
Longitude: -0.0062 / 0°0'22"W
OS Eastings: 538898
OS Northings: 164854
OS Grid: TQ388648
Mapcode National: GBR L8.P45
Mapcode Global: VHGRM.VX3W
Plus Code: 9C3X9X8V+8G
Entry Name: Church of Saint John the Baptist
Listing Date: 28 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358507
Location: Bromley, London, BR4
Electoral Ward/Division: Hayes and Coney Hall
Built-Up Area: Bromley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: West Wickham St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/12/2012
TQ 36 SE
Church of Saint John the Baptist
Parish Church. Late C15, incorporating some earlier stonework. Baptistery 1825, north aisle widened 1844 as part of restoration by John Whichcord; organ chamber 1889 by J D Sedding; vestries added over and to north of chapel in 1961.
Knapped flint with stone dressings; some stone to lower walls of chapel, rendered chancel. Tiled roof. Chancel, nave with west bapistery, south tower with entrance porch beneath, north chapel and aisle, the latter doubled in width in 1844 to which the vestries abut to east. The nave, north aisle and tower refaced in 1844, when top of tower rebuilt with machicolations; the windows all C15 and mostly of two cinquefoil lights under straight heads.
Interior. arch to chapel C14, chancel arch and arcades may also predate the recorded C15 rebuilding; Two-bay chancel arcade, three-bay nave arcade much restored 1844-47. Chancel with medieval tiles, reset; mosaic pavement 1896. Fine fittings by Sedding include the organ case (organ 1860s), pulpit, linenfold panelling, chancel pews with poppyheads and rood screen (this last said to be C15 in origins and resited as parclose screen in 1991). Reredos 1930s.
East window by Herbert Bryans, 1901; his also the small south-east window. South window by C E Kempe. Chapel with resited brasses, and three windows filled with early C16 stained glass figures reset in modern quarries after 1945. North-west window of chapel with glass perhaps by Willement.
Nave with western gallery, perhaps of 1825 or a little later, on cast-iron columns; low, narrow bapistery behind built as vestry in 1825 and adapted 1912. Late C15 font. Late C19 pews. West window with figures by Herbert Bryans in mid-C20 quarries. Nine late C18 and early C19 hatchments in chancel and nave. North aisle with two windows by C E Kempe, 1896, and one by Powell of Whitefriars. By Bryans the two windows in the porch. Many memorials, including that of Samuel Lennard, d.1618, tomb chest, and Margaret Hobbes, d.1608, wall monument of small figure with stillborn child.
Listing NGR: TQ3889864854
Other nearby listed buildings