This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4457 / 51°26'44"N
Longitude: -0.1246 / 0°7'28"W
OS Eastings: 530425
OS Northings: 173530
OS Grid: TQ304735
Mapcode National: GBR FX.P82
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.SXHK
Entry Name: 296, Brixton Hill
Listing Date: 15 March 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488508
Location: Lambeth, London, SW2
Electoral Ward/Division: Brixton Hill
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Streatham Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Purpose-built butcher's premises with living accommodation over, later dentists premises. Built in 1891 as part of a shopping parade. Red brick. Three storeys and attics, one sash without glazing bars.
EXTERIOR: Gable ended with kneelers to attic window. First floor window has tripartite window with cambered relieving arch with keystone. First floor has tripartite window with pilasters, central pediment and ogee decoration to flat arches. Shopfront has highly decorated console brackets embellished with a floral motif supported on brown marble pilasters. Original hardwood shopfront with tiled stallriser, the top lights of fluted glass with the lettering Beef Pork Butcher. Either side of the central shopwindow are two pairs of tall double-leaf doors with long rectangular glazed panels (with bevelled glass edges) above shorter raised and fielded solid panels. Above the doors are ventilation grill top lights with scalloped pattern. Both doors set in recesses, the outer cheeks having finely crafted hardwood panelling. Awning apparatus with blind concealed within the fascia. The original fascia board may survive below the late C20 fascia.
INTERIOR: Shop walls are lined from floor to ceiling with four different types of marble. A cream marble dado runs around the perimeter with white veined marble panels above set between brown veined marble pilasters. On these pilasters survive the original ornate meat hanging brackets complete with pulley device. Below the dado are red/brown veined marble panels set within white marble surround mounted above the grey marble skirting board. Painted wood ceiling with moulding and beading. At the rear of the shop is a varnished timber screen forming the pay counter with glazed panels of fluted glass above and within bevelled glass within the arches. Continuous glazed top-light of circles framed by dentil courses. Entrance hall to the upper floors retains broad floorboards, panelled ceilings, painted timberwork at intervals down the hall and parallel to the pay counter more original varnished hardwood panelling with internal sliding sash window. Staircase with turned balusters and elaborate carved newel post with ball finial, four-panelled doors, marginal paned window to the light well and door with marginal glazing of pale stained glass and floral motif.
HISTORY: Butchers shop from 1891 according to Lambeth Archives. Shown on 1897 OS map.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings