History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coppull Ring Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Coppull, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6272 / 53°37'38"N

Longitude: -2.6615 / 2°39'41"W

OS Eastings: 356345

OS Northings: 414724

OS Grid: SD563147

Mapcode National: GBR 9VVH.LG

Mapcode Global: WH97K.23W4

Plus Code: 9C5VJ8GQ+V9

Entry Name: Coppull Ring Mill

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357608

Location: Coppull, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Coppull

Built-Up Area: Coppull

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Coppull St John

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chorley

Description

SD 51 SE COPPULL MILL LANE

8/91 Coppull Ring Mill
17.4.1967
GV II


Cotton spinning mill, 1906, now Coppull Enterprise Centre Ltd. Red and
yellow brick with yellow terracotta dressing, in "art nouveau" style.
Very large rectangular plan with attached tower on east side and
engine house on west side both near the south end. Basement storey and
3 storeys of diminishing height, with a flat-roofed 2-storey range on
west side; 5 stage tower; 2-storey engine house, Yellow terracotta bands
on 3 levels; dentilled cornice and yellow terracotta battlement at south
east corner. Tall 9-paned windows have low segmental heads in continuous
bands of yellow brick (8 windows south of the tower and 30 north of it),
on east side the centre bay of 7 windows width distinguished by 6 red
brick pilasters and a coping lettered "COPPULL O SPINNING
COMPANY 1906 LIMITED".
At north end are 3 turrets, that at north west corner (the dust chute)
is hexagonal, blind, and has yellow terracotta battlements. Tower on east
side has chamfered corners, a 4th floor with 2 levels of wavy yellow
terracotta battlements, a pilastered octagonal belvedere with similar
battlements and green copper dome. Engine house at right angles to west
side has round headed 1st floor windows with yellow brick heads linked
by an impost band (8 windows each side, 3 at the end). Other parts in
matching style. Some alteration and restoration in progress at time of
survey.


Listing NGR: SD5634514724

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.