This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4305 / 51°25'49"N
Longitude: -2.1123 / 2°6'44"W
OS Eastings: 392286
OS Northings: 170177
OS Grid: ST922701
Mapcode National: GBR 2SX.6SG
Mapcode Global: VH96K.B9NP
Entry Name: Lackham House
Listing Date: 7 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315549
Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Lacock
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 97 SW
1/114 Lackham House
Country house, now agricultural college, 1791-6 for James Montagu,
ashlar with low pitched slate valley roofs and ashlar end stacks.
Formal 3-storey Palladian style mansion, square plan with low
parallel wings each side linked by screen walls to main range.
Garden front of 2-3-2 windows with slightly projected pedimented
centre and balustraded parapet each side. Ground floor, possibly
altered, has plain tall French windows and high 8-column Roman
Doric loggia with balustraded balcony. First floor pedimented sash
windows in architraves with moulded sill course, moulded band over
and attic casements in square openings. Modillion cornice. Rear,
entrance, facade is much plainer, 2-2-2 windows with walling of
square rubble up to attic, which is ashlar faced. Moulded cornice
and parapet. Ground floor has boldly detailed free Baroque style
enclosed porch of c1900 in ashlar with typical blocked columns and
pilasters, deep semi-circular hood and Arts and Crafts style iron
lamps. Link walls each side of main fronts have moulded cornice
and balustrade. Parallel wings have end walls treated as
decorative pavilions with 3-bay fronts, the centres advanced with
pediments applied against pedimental gables, the narrow side bays
with parapets. Centre ground floor tripartite window with 12-pane
sash each side, first floor sill-course under centre lunette with
oval light to side bays. East side of east wing has plain 2-storey
elevation of 2-light beaded mullion windows. West side of west
wing is former coach-house and stable with projecting pedimented
centre of 2 lunettes over 2 blocked coach entries. Ridge cupola.
Attractive pedimented dormers, possibly of c1900, each side.
Ground floor mostly obscured, but, to left, 2 lunettes and centre
Interior: much fielded panelling to hall and spine corridors.
Ground floor north-west room has Adam style decoration and fine
plaster ceiling. Open well stair with turned balusters and
panelled dado. Original panelled doors. In west service court, a
billiard room with top-lit coved ceiling and vine tendril Arts and
Crafts style plasterwork of c1900. Lackham was owned by the
Baynard family from the C14 to 1636 when it passed to the Montagu
family. The medieval house was demolished by James Montagu V in
1791. The alterations of c1900 were carried out for G.L. Palmer.
(Wiltshire Notes and Queries, 3, 1899)
Listing NGR: ST9228670177
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings