History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manchester House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2473 / 52°14'50"N

Longitude: 0.717 / 0°43'1"E

OS Eastings: 585576

OS Northings: 264492

OS Grid: TL855644

Mapcode National: GBR QF0.22M

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CSW2

Entry Name: Manchester House

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Last Amended: 30 October 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365774

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467030

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SE NORTHGATE STREET
639-1/8/501 (East side)
07/08/52 No.113
Manchester House
(Formerly Listed as:
NORTHGATE STREET
(East side)
Nos.113 AND 113A)

GV II*

House, later divided into 2; now offices. Early C19 front;
early C17 core to part. Faced in white brick with a parapet
and a raised stucco band. Plaintiled roofs, the central
section fully hipped.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attics and cellars. 12 window range,
arranged 4:4:4, with the centre, which breaks forward
slightly, higher at parapet and upper window level than the 2
sides. All 1st storey windows are 12-pane sashes, the centre 4
in plain reveals, the northern 4 in flush cased frames and the
southern 4 blocked: all have flat gauged arches. A stucco band
runs at ground and 1st storey sill level in the central block.
On the ground storey of the central block are 2 small-paned
semicircular-arched windows flanked by 2 semicircular-arched
doorways with deep stuccoed reveals and 6-panel doors. The
ground storey of the south end has two 12-pane sash windows in
flush cased frames and 2 blanks. On the north, 3
segmental-headed dormers with 2-light small-paned casement
windows; on the south, one flat-headed C20 dormer.
INTERIOR: C19 brick-lined cellar with wine bins. The north end
of the building encases 2 long bays of early C17
timber-framing: on the ground storey, main beams with
ovolo-moulding; on the 1st storey, several 4-panel doors with
bolection moulded panels and original H-L hinges; one room
with full bolection moulded panelling and a good early C18
fireplace with enriched eared architrave.
A rear wing is also basically C17: a 3-light small-paned
sliding sash window in the apex of the gable. The central
section of the house has later C18 features: a large upper
room which runs from front to back has a rounded rear bay with
3 long 12-pane sash windows and a fireplace surround in Adam
style. Some sash windows have panelled internal shutters with
applied mouldings.
Early C19 features have been superimposed on the earlier
fabric: the main geometrical stair has stick balusters,
panelled square newels, curved handrails and a balustraded


landing. The back stairs, partly straightened in the later
C20, are similar in form.
From c1790 to his death in 1831 the house was occupied by Sir
Thomas Gery Cullum and his wife Lady Mary Cullum.

Listing NGR: TL8557664492

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.