This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4033 / 52°24'11"N
Longitude: -2.8909 / 2°53'27"W
OS Eastings: 339487
OS Northings: 278733
OS Grid: SO394787
Mapcode National: GBR BB.PQZB
Mapcode Global: VH76C.VV2J
Plus Code: 9C4VC435+8M
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257623
Location: Clungunford, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Clungunford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Clungunford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
CLUNGUNFORD C.P. CLUNGUNFORD
SO 37 NE
8/118 Church of St. Cuthbert
Parish Church. Circa 1300, restored 1895 and north-west tower added
by E.Turner of Leicester. Coursed and squared limestone and sandstone
rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; plain tile roofs. North-
west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with north chapel.
Tower: 4 stages on basement, with angle buttresses, stepped plinth,
belfry string and crenellated parapet. The first stage has a 3-light
pointed window to the north with intersecting tracery, and windows to
the east and west with 2 pointed lights and a circle in the head.
Above these are lancets. Pointed belfry lights with Y-tracery flanked
by blind lancet arcading. Nave and chancel. Pointed west door and
3-light pointed window above; the outer lights are acutely pointed,
the inner light simply extends up to the soffit of the main arch.
Pointed windows to north and south each of 2-cinquefoil headed lights
with a circle in the head containing a saltire cross, each of the four
compartments contains a trefoil. South porch of 1895. Gabled timber
framed superstructure. South door of circa 1300. North chapel has
paired lancets to north and west. East window similar to west window
of nave. Interior. Pointed chancel arch with 2 seqment-moulded orders.
Nave and chancel roofs reported to be C14 but are hidden by boarded
ceilings of seqmental pointed section. Windows of nave and chancel
have segmental pointed rere-arches. Priscina with trefoiled-arch recessed
beneath 2 sunk chamfered orders and a returned hood mould. Behind
the altar are 2 retangular aumbries rebated for doors. Fittings.
Mid-C19Wenlock marble font, octagonal. Late C19 octagonal wooden pulpit.
Stalls incorporate fragments of C17 woodwork. Hinged oak chest, probably
C16. Sculpture. In the south-east corner of the nave is a C14 stone
tablet carved with an heraldic badge, comprising a beast carrying a
banner. Monuments. Francis Walker, died 1776; elaborate marble tablet
with obelisk and urn. John Edwards, died 1724; aedicular tablet with
broken pediment containing coat of arms, angel head at base. Brasses:
William Freeman, died 1671. Susanna Evans, died 1767 with wooden lugged
frame. Olivia and The Reverend Thomas Evans, died 1761 and 1762, wood
aedicular surround with Corinthian pilasters and scrolled pediment with
urn in centre, volutes to sides. Blanch Pryce, died 1758, lugged and
pedimented surround. Stained glass. East window of area 1891.
North-east window of nave, 1949. B.o.E. p. 110. The Reverend D.H.S.
Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, part 5 (1901), pp. 389-394.
Listing NGR: SO3948778733
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings