This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7516 / 51°45'5"N
Longitude: -1.2527 / 1°15'9"W
OS Eastings: 451681
OS Northings: 206145
OS Grid: SP516061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.242
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.77LJ
Plus Code: 9C3WQP2W+MW
Entry Name: 1, Kybald Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245604
Location: Holywell, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 SE 9/358 12.1.54.
RCHM 86. Probably built circa 1600 and is an example of the "ling" type
of plan of an Oxford house. The dormers were added circa 1630. The front
wall has recently been rebuilt with the old material and the back has been
modernised. 2-storeyed rubble and timber-framing with a cellar and 2 gables,
in each of which is a 6-light wood oriel supported on brackets. In the 1st
floor, towards the east side, is a 5-light stone mullioned window and towards
the west, a 3-light late C17 wood casement window. In the ground floor are
2 modern casements. The interior has been mainly modernised but is divided
into four bays by beams. Once was "The Black House" Inn. (For plans, sections
and elevations see Antiq.Jnl. XXVII (1947) 143 and figure 18. and photographs
in NBR) For a drawing by J C Buckler in 1822, see Bodl. M S Don. a.3.1.50.
All the listed buildings in Kybald Street form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5167906145
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings