History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

English Presbyterian Church of Wales

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.193 / 53°11'34"N

Longitude: -2.882 / 2°52'55"W

OS Eastings: 341166

OS Northings: 366572

OS Grid: SJ411665

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2VV7

Mapcode Global: WH88F.P0SJ

Plus Code: 9C5V54V9+55

Entry Name: English Presbyterian Church of Wales

Listing Date: 10 January 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375749

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469728

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Description


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 CITY ROAD
1932-1/6/50 (West side)
10/01/72 English Presbyterian Church of Wales

GV II

Presbyterian church. 1864. By Michael Gummow of Wrexham.
Stucco front, brick sides and rear, grey slate roof.
EXTERIOR: Ionic front has full height 4-column portico in
antis. Plain cast-iron railing to forecourt, on stone plinth,
with 3 pairs of iron gates having lattice dogbars, double
lockrail and foliar top-rail with spears; square panelled
cast-iron posts; simple gate to sunk yard, right. Behind the
portico the wall has sillband with central recessed panel; a
now blank architraved opening to each side with pilasters,
frieze and cornice. A pair of doors of 5 fielded panels in
each return wall of portico. A blank panel with architrave
frieze and cornice on face of each wing. The gallery has 3
probably cast-iron lights, 2 with 1-pane hoppers, in portico
and a 12-pane fixed light in face of each wing; architraves,
friezes and alternating triangular and curved pediments to
openings. Dentil pediment to portico. Sides of 6 bays, the
first bay stucco, the others brick; 16-pane recessed sashes to
basement, one altered. Simple plinth-cap at basement ceiling
level; brick pilasters; stone imposts and keys; 18-pane lights
with 4-pane stilted fans. The liturgical east end is apsidal.
INTERIOR not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ4116666572

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.