History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Steam Flour Mill at Sj 4127 6662

A Grade II Listed Building in Boughton, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1934 / 53°11'36"N

Longitude: -2.8805 / 2°52'49"W

OS Eastings: 341270

OS Northings: 366620

OS Grid: SJ412666

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2W80

Mapcode Global: WH887.QZJR

Plus Code: 9C5V54V9+9R

Entry Name: Former Steam Flour Mill at Sj 4127 6662

Listing Date: 6 November 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375938

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469917

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Description


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 STEAM MILL STREET
1932-1/6/267 (West side)
06/11/89 Former Steam Flour Mill at SJ 4127
6662

GV II

Former steam-powered flour mill, now warehouse and workshop.
c1785 and early and mid C19, with chimney above roof-level,
boilerhouse and engine house since demolished. Brown brick in
irregular English garden wall bond; grey slate roofs.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: erected in 3 phases, the present building is
U-shaped; the middle wing facing Steam Mill Street stands in
the position of the Steam Mill shown on Weston's map of
Chester dated 1789 and incorporates what may be original
cast-iron columns and beams; the 4-storey north wing facing
the Chester Canal is probably early C19; the external features
of the middle and south wings are probably 1840s. The square
internal chimney below roof level survives at the junction of
the middle and south wings. The building is functional with no
applied ornament.
Stone sills and cambered brick window-heads; some openings are
bricked up and a few are altered; those in the middle and
south wings have 36-72 pane cast-iron windows, some with
hoppers of 4-panes and some with inserted casements; a
round-arched window in gable of loft; the north wing has no
sills and replaced 2-pane horizontally-sliding sashes. The
eaves and verges of the north wing are simply corbelled in
brick; the middle and south wings have stone-coped parapet
gables.
INTERIOR: the north wing could not be inspected; the middle
wing is of 4 bays with round cast-iron columns carrying heavy
T-shaped iron beams some with damaged webs; the webs form
shallow triangles, increasing in depth towards the centre of
span. The south wing has large timber beams on inserted
riveted stanchions and a goods lift in a shaft dated 1898. The
external walls are up to 3 feet (1m) thick.
Of prime interest are the very early establishment of a
steam-powered canal-side flour mill and the cast-iron columns
and beams.
(Map of the Loyal City of Chester: Surveyed by Samuel Weston;
Engraved by James Hunter: 1789-; Ordnance Survey Town Map of
Chester: 1875-).


Listing NGR: SJ4127066620

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.