This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1925 / 53°11'33"N
Longitude: -2.8817 / 2°52'54"W
OS Eastings: 341188
OS Northings: 366520
OS Grid: SJ411665
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2VXZ
Mapcode Global: WH88F.P0YW
Plus Code: 9C5V54V9+28
Entry Name: 4-10, City Road
Listing Date: 24 September 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375748
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469727
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ4166 CITY ROAD
1932-1/6/48 (East side)
24/09/90 Nos.4-10 (Even)
4 shops with living accommodation over, now shops and office.
By TM Lockwood. Buff sandstone, timber framing with plaster
panels and hard red brick; red-brown clay tile roof with 4
front gables before main ridge parallel with City Road.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. Ashlar piers at each end and between
shopfronts; wrought-iron gates to entrances of Nos 2 and 6;
recessed entrances with canted 1-pane side windows, that to
No.8 altered; 1-pane windows to fronts of shops and office. A
painted timber console before the head of each pier supports
the jettied second storey which has a moulded fascia to the
bressumer carved where carried round the bases of 4 mullioned
and transomed 4-light oriels with leaded glazing and shaped
panes; the oriels to Nos 2 and 8 are canted, those to Nos 4
and 6 are bowed; above transom level glazing is carried
through between the oriels across the heads of close-studded
framing; the moulded cornice is carved above the oriels. The
third storey is jettied on consoles; a row of small-framed
panels with alternating shaped and herringbone bracing; a
5-light casement, with leaded glazing and shaped panes, in
each gable, those to Nos 2 and 8 having canted side lights and
those to Nos 4 and 6 having their 3 central lights bowed; 2
small-framed panels to each side of each casement and jettied
collars on consoles above, those to Nos 6 and 4 inscribed
"AD:1900"; herringbone struts, those to Nos 4 and 6 in
S-shaped curves; rainwater head between Nos 6 and 8 carved as
a face; moulded bargeboards; drop-finials with castellated
heads; a stone-dressed brick chimney on each end-gable and 2
on the ridge. The south end of No.2 has timber framing
returned to the gable-chimney and brickwork behind it; the
north end of No.8, formerly built against, is rendered.
The rear has no features of special interest.
The front is one of the most satisfying of TM Lockwood's
INTERIORS not inspected.
The upper storeys of all properties and the first storey of
Nos 4 & 6 vacant in July 1990 when inspected.
Listing NGR: SJ4118866520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings