History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Office of Former Flour Mill West of Steam Mill Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Boughton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1932 / 53°11'35"N

Longitude: -2.8808 / 2°52'50"W

OS Eastings: 341248

OS Northings: 366592

OS Grid: SJ412665

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2W5J

Mapcode Global: WH887.QZCY

Plus Code: 9C5V54V9+7M

Entry Name: Office of Former Flour Mill West of Steam Mill Street

Listing Date: 6 November 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469918

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Description


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 STEAM MILL STREET
1932-1/6/268 (West side)
06/11/89 Office of former Flour Mill west of
Steam Mill Street

GV II

Flour mill office. 1897. Stone-dressed hard red brick with
slate roof, hipped at south end; the roof has 2 parallel
ridges; flat-roofed single storey north wing of no special
interest.
EXTERIOR: the principal feature of the building is the east
front, Baroque in character, to the yard of the former
steam-powered Georgian flour mill (qv). The front is of 4 bays
with brick pilasters. Glazed door, north, in doorcase with
flush stone quoins and arched lintel carved OFFICE; moulded
brick dado; 2 shaped 6-pane windows and one of 4 panes with
upper hoppers in stone basket arches; dentil course at second
storey floor; the second storey has seven 2-pane sashes with
stone band and dentil course above; brick parapet with stone
cornice carried in semicircle above central clock in ornate
stone surround dated 1897; stone balls above pilasters and
clock-surround. The west front to Union Street is plainer with
double doors of 2 fielded panels above one flush panel, with
similar fixed wooden side panels, in south bay; plinth, sill
and lintel bands; brick pilasters; parapet and cornice;
rectangular office windows of 2, 4 and 6 panes.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Included for group value with former steam flour mill (qv) and
Milns Seed Warehouse, Canal Side (qv).

Listing NGR: SJ4124866592

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.