This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1911 / 53°11'28"N
Longitude: -2.8825 / 2°52'56"W
OS Eastings: 341135
OS Northings: 366367
OS Grid: SJ411663
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2VR1
Mapcode Global: WH88F.P1LY
Entry Name: Church of St Werburgh
Listing Date: 23 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375835
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469814
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ4166 GROSVENOR PARK ROAD
1932-1/6/143 (West side)
Church of St Werburgh
Roman Catholic church. 1873-5 and 1913-14 by Edmund Kirby.
Buff sandstone; grey slate roofs. Continuous aisled nave and
sanctuary, liturgical orientation reversed.
EXTERIOR: the west front is symmetrical; projecting nave-width
porch has pair of boarded doors with statue of St Werburgh on
column between; a pair of lancets in recessed arch to each
side of statue. The porch is gabled, and with gabled parapet
to each side-wall. The gabled west end of the nave has triple
lancets, flanked by flat gabled buttresses. A lancet in west
end of each aisle; loop in nave gable; cross finial. The
aisles have buttresses between paired lancets; cross-gabled
wings. 15 clerestory lancets to each side of nave and
sanctuary; Apsidal east end with 5 lancets; ambulatory.
INTERIOR: has alternating round and octagonal columns with
rich foliar capitals; boarded wagon roof with trusses having
stop-chamfered ties and octagonal posts; arched sanctuary
truss with timber tracery.
Listing NGR: SJ4113566367
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings