History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1909 / 53°11'27"N

Longitude: -2.8818 / 2°52'54"W

OS Eastings: 341176

OS Northings: 366342

OS Grid: SJ411663

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2VX8

Mapcode Global: WH88F.P2W3

Entry Name: Park Lodge

Listing Date: 23 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469807

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 GROSVENOR PARK
1932-1/6/135 (North side)
Park Lodge

GV II

Park-keeper's lodge, now park office. 1865-7. By John Douglas
at the expense of the second Marquis of Westminster. For
Chester City Council. Tooled squared snecked red sandstone
rubble, timber frame with plaster panels and red-brown tile
roofs. High Gothic moving towards Vernacular Revival.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, T-shaped with single-storey office
wing; the lower storey is stone, the upper storey framed. The
east front has ornate timber-framed gabled porch to door of 2
boarded panels on wrought-iron hinges; a 2-light mullioned
casement with stiff-leaf colonnettes, left; a canted bay
window projecting front gable, right. Upper storey on
corbel-table has a small 6-pane casement above porch, a
12-pane casement in hipped dormer left and a 20-pane
cross-window in front gable right; four crowned figures with
armorial shields; small framing; jettied gable with curved
braces; shaped and carved bargeboards; finial. The left wing
has small panels and herringbone struts; a chimney of 6
attached round flues by junction of ridges.
The south side, left, has bay window as to east front, 4
crowned figures bearing shields, cross-window in gable, shaped
and carved bargeboards, finial. The single-storey wing,
formerly with public lavatories, has boarded door with pair of
casements left and painted-arched window right, all in moulded
surrounds; a small cross-gabled wing at left end.
The north side, right, to Union Street has a 2-light casement
and a 1-light casement to the ground floor with C13-style
details and an unpierced herringbone-strutted first floor; the
rear gable has a cross-window to first floor; a pair of
C13-style lights to stair.
INTERIOR: much of Douglas's detailing: doorcases and most
doors; dogleg newel stair; some cornices.
(Chester City Council and Committee: Park Committee Minutes:
1865-1867: PASSIM; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N &
Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-: 160).


Listing NGR: SJ4117666342

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.