This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.191 / 53°11'27"N
Longitude: -2.8817 / 2°52'54"W
OS Eastings: 341184
OS Northings: 366354
OS Grid: SJ411663
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2VYJ
Mapcode Global: WH88F.P2Y1
Entry Name: Main Gateway, to Grosvenor Park Road, and Yard Gate Piers
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Last Amended: 23 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469806
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
Main gateway, to Grosvenor Park Road, and yard gate piers
(Formerly Listed as: GROSVENOR PARK Boundary Wall around Grosvenor Park)
Screen, end-piers and gate piers to main park entrance.
1865-67. By John Douglas at expense of second Marquis of
Westminster. For Chester City Council. Granite. Quadrant
plinths to side-screens in "crazy paving" rubble; square
end-piers, side-piers to pedestrian gates flanking
carriage-entrance gate piers. The main piers have ornate
moulded octagonal finials, the smaller piers are square,
diminishing to octagonal section beneath bluntly-pointed caps.
Probably original cast-iron piers and gate to maintenance yard
immediately left of main gateway.
(Chester City Council and Committee: Park Committee Minutes:
1865-1867: PASSIM; Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas:
London: 1991-: 46-48).
Listing NGR: SJ 41184 66354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings