This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1882 / 53°11'17"N
Longitude: -2.8913 / 2°53'28"W
OS Eastings: 340538
OS Northings: 366053
OS Grid: SJ405660
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.306B
Mapcode Global: WH88F.K4D5
Entry Name: 7, Grosvenor Street
Listing Date: 6 August 1998
Last Amended: 6 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470250
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066SE GROSVENOR STREET
595-1/4/195 (South East side)
Home and centre for midwives, then nurses' home, now WRVS
office. 1898. By Douglas and Minshull at the expense of the
1st Duke of Westminster for the Chester Benevolent Institution
which provided free midwifery services for the poor. Diapered
stone-dressed Ruabon red brick; Westmorland green slate roof.
Vernacular Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys; 4 bays. Flush ashlar sandstone
plinth; 2 stone steps in canted recessed porch to panelled
door with 2 small leaded lights, on wrought-iron hinges, in
stone basket arch; larger basket arch to front of porch
surmounted by carved stone panel inscribed W:1898, indicating
that the building was at the expense of the first Duke of
Westminster. Volutes to sides of panel. The mullioned and
transomed windows are leaded, under basket-arched heads. The
first storey has one 4-light casement west of door and 2 of 3
lights to east. Moulded second storey floor string, flush
sillband and lintel band; a 3-light casement, west, one of 2
lights over doorway, then 2 of 3 lights and one of 2 lights.
The 3-storey portion, east of doorway, has two 3-light
casements and one of 2 lights; 2 dormer gables. 2 shaped ridge
chimneys. The east side has miscellaneous small-pane timber
casements and a jettied canted bay of brick through the second
and third storeys. A one-storey outshut, west.
INTERIOR: has some original fireplaces and doors with reeded
stiles, rails and muntins.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester: Edinburgh: 120;
Hubbard E: John Douglas: 1991-).
Listing NGR: SJ4053866053
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings