This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1866 / 53°11'11"N
Longitude: -2.8907 / 2°53'26"W
OS Eastings: 340577
OS Northings: 365868
OS Grid: SJ405658
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.36B6
Mapcode Global: WH88F.K5PF
Plus Code: 9C5V54P5+JP
Entry Name: County Council Education Offices and Walls to South
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Last Amended: 6 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470376
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4065NE ST MARY'S HILL
595-1/6/345 (North side)
10/01/72 County Council Education Offices and
walls to south
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARY'S HILL
City Education Department Offices
(formerly the Old Rectory))
Parsonage house and coachyard, now offices. C18; 1835
attributed to Thomas Jones, in Tudor Revival style, with older
rear wing. Irregular bond brown brick with grey slate roofs;
Georgian rear wing.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 6-bay front. One bay north of the coach
entrance, which projects; a window bay; projecting porch bay;
2 window bays. Flush stone plinth, increasing in depth as
ground falls to south. Window openings have splayed reveals of
painted stone, with 4-pane casements to the first storey. The
coach entry has framed, boarded and studded double doors with
postern in stone-dressed Tudor archway with hoodmould. The
porch has framed, boarded and studded door in stone-dressed
Tudor archway with hoodmould. The second storey has
stone-coped gables with kneelers and pineapple finials to the
coachway and porch bays and stone-dressed dormer gables to the
window bays; 4-pane casements in north bay and coachway bay,
6-pane casements in other bays. Plinthed chimneys, of 3
divided flues at north end of ridge and three of 2 flues set
diagonally on ridge and south gable-end.
The south garden face is Georgian with brick bands and flush
sashes with flush sills and cambered heads: the first storey
has a 12-pane sash and 3 sashes now of 4 panes in the canted
bay, east; the second storey has two 12-pane sashes plus three
12-pane sashes in the canted bay.
The face to the former coachyard has recessed sashes of 12
panes and of 4 rows of 5 panes.
INTERIOR: has plaster panels in corridors and stairwell,
probably of 1835, an L shaped open-well closed-string stair
having newels with ovolo arrises and 3 stout balusters with
closely-spaced rings of grooves. Cornices in passages;
panelled embrasures to windows in lower storey of canted bay;
those to the upper storey of the bay also have eared
architraves; two 5-panel doors, one fielded.
The brick wall with stone coping and boarded door to St Mary's
Hill south of the building and the retaining wall of sandstone
with brick parapet to the garden terrace south of the building
are included in this item.
This item forms a well-composed group with St Mary's Hill
School and Cottage (qv) and the St Mary's Centre (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Hubbard E & Pevsner N: Cheshire:
Harmondsworth: 1971-: 152).
Listing NGR: SJ4057765866
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings