History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marys Hill School, Cottage and Garden and Yard Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1867 / 53°11'12"N

Longitude: -2.8911 / 2°53'27"W

OS Eastings: 340555

OS Northings: 365885

OS Grid: SJ405658

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.366V

Mapcode Global: WH88F.K5JB

Plus Code: 9C5V54P5+MH

Entry Name: St Marys Hill School, Cottage and Garden and Yard Walls

Listing Date: 16 September 1991

Last Amended: 6 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376386

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470381

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Description


CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4065NE ST MARY'S HILL
595-1/6/344 (North side)
16/09/91 St Mary's Hill School, Cottage and
garden and yard walls
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARY'S HILL
St Mary's Hill School, former
Schoolmaster's cottage & garden &
yard walls)

GV II

School, cottage and walls. 1846. Flemish bond brown brick with
grey slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: one and 2 storeys. The schoolroom has a low
sandstone plinth and 3 renewed casements in unaltered eared
openings of painted stone. The west gable has a replaced
stone-dressed window, kneelers to brick coping with former
bellcote of corbelled stone, now truncated. The lower,
narrower entrance-wing, west, has framed and boarded door and
a 4-pane casement, each in a painted stone surround; the gable
end has window of three 3-pane lights and a cross-loop in the
gable; stone coping on north slope of gable; a parallel coach
house wing adjoins, north, with boarded double doors, timber
lintel and hayloft with boarded loading-door in painted stone
surround. All surrounds are splayed and have eared lintels.
The cottage forms a short south wing near east end of
schoolroom. Porch in corner has framed and boarded door on
long hinges with 4-pane overlight in painted stone surround; a
4-pane stone-lined casement, south, with a similar but shorter
casement with gabled dormer above with stone coping on
kneelers. Brick gable chimney has stone-capped plinth, 4
divided flues and corbelled brick cap. The rear yard has
probably medieval coursed sandstone in lower part of side
wall. Low sandstone wall to front garden.
INTERIOR: the schoolroom has 6 quasi-hammerbeam trusses;
gallery at east end with balustrade. The cottage has stone
steps to partly rock-cut brick cellars with quarry floors;
dogleg newel stair with stick balusters.
The school and cottage form a well-composed group with St
Mary's Centre (qv) and the Old Rectory now County Council
Education Offices (qv).
Stylistically the school and cottage suggest Thomas Jones as
architect, to whom the adjoining Old Rectory is attributed.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Chester: Edinburgh: 1979-:
133).


Listing NGR: SJ4054965836

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.