This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5 / 51°30'0"N
Longitude: -0.1054 / 0°6'19"W
OS Eastings: 531604
OS Northings: 179597
OS Grid: TQ316795
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.HG
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.4K4G
Entry Name: Peabody Estate
Listing Date: 21 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376595
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470600
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Waterloo St John with St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3179 BLACKFRIARS ROAD
636-1/4/69 (West side)
21/11/96 Peabody Estate
Philanthropic housing. Completed in 1871. By Henry Darbishire.
For the Peabody Trust. Yellow and white brick with stucco
PLAN: a square and a rectangular courtyard linked at the
corner to form an axis running from south-west to north-west.
Comprised of 16 more or less identical blocks, each
rectangular in plan and 4 storeys. The shallow pitched roofs
slated. These remain largely as built but soon after
completion of the group a 5-storey block of similar design and
plan was built to fill the central space between the 2 blocks
on the south west side of the southern courtyard, and 2
further 5-storey blocks were added to the north on Blackfriars
EXTERIOR: all the 4-storey blocks follow a similar pattern in
To the courtyards: 7-window range with windows having 6x6
sashes with segmental and flat arches. Elevations away from
courtyards are slightly different, having 6-window ranges and
a central recess for communal stair and WCs. Some returns have
2-window ranges, but this arrangement varies depending on the
position of the block.
The elevation of the 4 original blocks facing Blackfriars Road
are different to the others in having steep broken gables and
more elaborately patterned brickwork. Entrance to Peabody
Square is gained by a large classical archway with a boldly
projecting bracketed cornice and banded rustication The
staircase recesses on these elevations have been altered and
now contain C20 doors at ground level and casement windows on
the upper floors. A number of staircase recesses of the other
blocks have also been filled in but those of the south-eastern
range of the southern courtyard remain as built.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally named Peabody Square, Peabody
Estate is an important monument in the history of
philanthropic flatted housing. The reduced scale of the blocks
(relative to what had come before), their internal
organisation (access by means of an enclosed stair rather than
an external one) and the spacious layout of the whole which
was centred on 2 planted squares, all influenced the planning
of subsequent artisans' dwellings.
(Tarn JN: Five Per Cent Philanthropy: 1973-; The Builder: 3
Listing NGR: TQ3160479597
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings