This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.499 / 51°29'56"N
Longitude: -0.1035 / 0°6'12"W
OS Eastings: 531738
OS Northings: 179494
OS Grid: TQ317794
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.XT
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.5L46
Entry Name: St George the Martyr Library
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378371
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470670
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr with St Alphage and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3179 BOROUGH ROAD
636-1/4/105 (North side)
St George the Martyr Library
Library. 1897-1899 by CJ Phipps and Arthur Blomfield Jackson.
For Passmore Edwards. Red brick and terracotta with a pitched,
tiled roof. Art Nouveau style.
PLAN: rectangular plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement with dormer window to east
side. The main front, with its double-height central porch,
gives the impression of symmetry but the eastern half of the
building incorporates an attic floor and this is reflected in
the different spacings of the windows.
The upper part of the porch is clad in terracotta and has a
relief of St George slaying the dragon contained within the
shaped gable. Below that is a large 2-light, trefoil-headed
and traceried window which surmounts another elaborately
modelled terracotta plaque with the words 'Passmore Edwards
Public Library 1898' over the main entrance.
Bronze plaque commemorating Sir William Molesworth by Sir
George Frampton inside the porch. A similar plaque, in memory
of Henry Austen Layard, the Assyriologist and also an MP for
Southwark, was stolen in 1990.
The whole ground floor is pilastered, the run of pilasters
being terminated by corner buttresses ornamented by blind
tracery above the eaves. Second segmental-arched entrance to
right wing. Left return with shaped gable filled with shallow
terracotta relief; range of motifs similar to those on the
main elevation; broad segmental-arched and multi-light window
with transoms filling virtually the whole return: leaded
lights to upper windows, sashes to lower. Below wall
pilastered between corner buttresses. Right return plainer,
but still repeating shaped gable and traceried buttresses.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ3173879494
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings