History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Obelisk at the Centre of St George's Circus

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southwark, Southwark

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4987 / 51°29'55"N

Longitude: -0.1048 / 0°6'17"W

OS Eastings: 531651

OS Northings: 179453

OS Grid: TQ316794

Mapcode National: GBR NJ.MX

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.4LGG

Entry Name: Obelisk at the Centre of St George's Circus

Listing Date: 2 March 1950

Last Amended: 14 June 2000

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471046

Location: Southwark, London, SE1

County: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Waterloo St John with St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3179 ST GEORGE'S CIRCUS
636-1/4/464
02/03/1950 Obelisk at the centre of
St George's Circus

II*

Obelisk. 1771. Robert Mylne. Stone. Removed from St George's
Circus in 1905.Inscribed as follows: north face: ERECTED IN XI YEAR OF
THE REIGN OF KING GEORGE THE THIRD. MDCCLXXI. THE RIGHT HONOURABLE
BRASS CROSBY ESQUIRE, LORD MAYOR. South face: ONE MILE, CCCL
FEET FROM FLEET STREET. Arms of the City of London below. East
face: ONE MILE FROM PALACE YARD, WESTMINSTER HALL. West face:
ONE MILE, XXXX FEET FROM LONDON BRIDGE.
HISTORY. this obelisk was erected in 1771 in the centre of St George's Circus as part of the grand planning scheme designed by Mylne for Blackfriars Bridge Road. It provided the focal point(and signpost) for the radiating roads leading to various parts of the city from the entrance from the south. In c1897 it was removed to make way for a Victoria Diamond Jubilee clock-tower and was re-erected in the Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park on Lambeth Road where it was included in the List in 1950. In 1998 it was re-erected in its original position. The obelisk forms a significant group with the Duke of Clarence Public House no 32 London Road (qv), Nos 123-131 London Road (qv, Nos 113-119 Borough Road (qv and the former Presbyterian Chapel (qv) and St George the Martyr Library (qv), also Borough Road.

Listing NGR: TQ3165179453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.