This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0046 / 52°0'16"N
Longitude: 1.254 / 1°15'14"E
OS Eastings: 623439
OS Northings: 239022
OS Grid: TM234390
Mapcode National: GBR VPX.CTQ
Mapcode Global: VHLC1.PW93
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 16 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286180
Location: Levington, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP10
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Levington
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Levington
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 23 NW LEVINGTON CHURCH LANE
WITH STRATTON HALL of St. Peter
5/14 Church of St. Peter
Church, mediaeval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch now converted to
vestry. Flint rubble, mainly plastered, with freestone dressings. Work of
c.1500 and later in red brick. Plaintiled roofs, with parapet gable at the
east wall. Simple pointed south nave doorway and similar blocked north
doorway are of c.1300; the walling of nave and chancel are probably of this
date or earlier. A small south chancel window has tracery and a cusped inner
arch, perhaps late C14. A square-headed low-side window, and the north window
opposite, are of C14 or C15. Timber-framed south porch on high C19 plinth of
red brick. Arched doorway and widely-spaced mullions, now infilled. The
late-mediaeval plank door was probably repositioned from the inner doorway.
Tower of red brick with limestone dressings; money was bequeathed c.1480 for
its construction. West doorway has good head corbels beneath the dripmould
and a shield above; 2-light brick west window. The belfry stage was rebuilt
1636 for Robert Hitcham (datestone on south tower wall), with hood-moulded
windows. Embattled parapets rebuilt C20. Large windows of moulded brick were
inserted late C15 or early C16, that in the east wall of 3 lights and
traceried; a simpler window in the south wall and another, restored C20 in the
nave. The walls of nave and chancel were raised c.1500 and the roofs rebuilt.
In the chancel an embattled cornice is visible; in the nave is a 4-bay arch-
braced collar-beam roof; the cornice and other components rib-moulded. Rood
beam with a variant of trailing leaf carving. Several small clerestory
windows. C15 octagonal limestone font with sunk facets carved with
alternating shields and roses, and supporting angel beneath; oak pyramid
cover, of C18 or early C19. Good early C17 octagonal pulpit, the panels
arcaded and carved with strapwork. Mid C17 altar rails with turned balusters.
The mid C17 panelling which lines the chancel walls was taken from Brightwell
Hall (demolished c.1753); much altered and restored. In the chancel floor is
a ledger slab dated 1712.
Listing NGR: TM2343939022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings