History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Grove House and Attached Outbuildings and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Hampstead Town, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5591 / 51°33'32"N

Longitude: -0.1793 / 0°10'45"W

OS Eastings: 526311

OS Northings: 186040

OS Grid: TQ263860

Mapcode National: GBR D0.FGM

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.V22M

Entry Name: Old Grove House and Attached Outbuildings and Railings

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Last Amended: 11 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378656

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477990

Location: Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2686SW HAMPSTEAD GROVE
798-1/16/737 (East side)
11/08/50 No.26
Old Grove House and attached
outbuildings and railings

GV II

Semi-detached house. Early C18 with additions 1730 and
renovations by Parker & Unwin c1912, further renovation c1959
by MJF Secrett. Brown and yellow stock brick, red brick
dressings. Hipped slated roof with dormers and C20 modillion
eaves cornice.
EXTERIOR: west (entrance) front: mostly refaced in yellow
stock brick, 1912; south end rebuilt c1959. Single storey,
attic and semi-basement. 5 windows, 2 to right of entrance
blind. Central early C20 Neo-Georgian Tuscan doorcase with
pediment; round arched entrance with keystone, panelled door,
cornice head and patterned fanlight. Above the entrance, an
oculus with gauged brick surround. Gauged brick cambered
arches to recessed sashes with blind boxes. Cornice above
windows. South (garden) front: refronted c1959. 3 storeys. 4
windows and blind panel at east end. Wooden Doric pedimented
doorcase. Segmental arched sash windows with exposed boxing.
Plain brick bands at floor levels. Projecting single window
stucco extension renovated 1959.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain some good internal
features including panelling, fireplaces and Rococo
plasterwork in dining room.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with torch
flambe finials to areas on west (entrance) front. Attached
outbuildings to rear with gateway dated 1859 leading to former
laundry (now No.7 The Mount Square (qv) and former stables
(now Nos 8 & 8A The Mount Square (qv).
(RCHME: London, Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 40;
Victoria County History: Middlesex: Vol. IX, Paddington &
Hampstead Parishes: Oxford: -1989: 20).


Listing NGR: TQ2631486037

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.