This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5359 / 51°32'9"N
Longitude: -0.1263 / 0°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 530054
OS Northings: 183550
OS Grid: TQ300835
Mapcode National: GBR H3.TL
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.RNMG
Entry Name: Eastern Coal Drops at Kings Cross Goods Yard
Listing Date: 27 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478582
Location: Camden, London, N1C
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3083NW YORK WAY
798-1/79/1738 (North side)
27/07/83 Eastern coal drops at King's Cross
Coal drops. 1851-2. Probably by Lewis Cubitt. Late C19
southern section converted into a warehouse. Northern, coal
handling bays, damaged by fire, 1985. Multi-coloured stock
brick supported externally and internally by a framework of
cast-iron columns and beams in each bay. Slated hipped roof.
EXTERIOR: oblong plan; 2 storeys and mezzanine. South
elevation with single storey extension above which main
building with 4 lunettes, recessed oblong panels below and
brick pilasters supporting iron gable end.
Eastern elevation with segmental-headed ground floor openings
(cart loading bays), brickwork of arches extended and linking
to give impression of arcading with inset cast-iron Tuscan
columns. Metal framed windows with small panes. Occasional
flat circular pattern in brickwork of spandrels. Mezzanine
floor with half length segmental-arched windows and brick
cornice, breaking at the window heads. 2nd floor (railway
level), shallow brick arcading blind apart from lunettes in
arch heads; recessed oblong panels at the base of each arch.
Western elevation with similar arcading and remains of railway
line on round-arched viaduct at top floor level.
INTERIOR: has massive timber framing to support railway at
upper level and storage hoppers at mezzanine. Open composite
truss roof with timber tie-beams, rafters, collars and struts
and single iron rods from the apex; also queen posts of
wrought-iron. Wrought-iron plates at joints and cast-iron
brackets where principal rafters are formed of two timbers
joined at collar height.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the coal drops were built as part of a system
of distributing coal from the north-east and Yorkshire to the
London market. Originally the structure carried 4 high-level
railway tracks from which waggons discharged coal into storage
bins on the mezzanine floor above cart-loading bays. A waggon
traverser was provided at the southern end by which empty
waggons were transferred to a wooden viaduct west of the coal
drops. Approach by road is at a lower level.
Listing NGR: TQ3005483550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings