History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Granary

A Grade II Listed Building in St Pancras and Somers Town, Camden

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5358 / 51°32'8"N

Longitude: -0.1251 / 0°7'30"W

OS Eastings: 530136

OS Northings: 183541

OS Grid: TQ301835

Mapcode National: GBR J3.2M

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.SN7J

Entry Name: The Granary

Listing Date: 16 May 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1379215

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478583

Location: Camden, London, N1C

County: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text

TQ3083NW
798-1/79/1740

CAMDEN,
YORK WAY (North side),
The Granary

16/05/78

GV II

Granary. 1851-2. By Lewis Cubitt. Multi-coloured stock brick.
Double-hipped Welsh slate roof covered in bitumen. Rectangular
plan.
EXTERIOR: 6 storeys. Main south front with symmetrical facade
of 9 bays with 4 slightly projecting hoist bays. Flanking bays
with later square-headed, recessed windows to 4 storeys,
illuminating stairs. Segmental arched, recessed casements to
window bays, alternating with hoist bays with double, wooden
half glazed hoist doors to each floor set in segmental-arched
recesses rising full height of building. Some remaining crane
mechanism under projecting stone hoods carried on paired
brackets. Projecting stone cornice and blocking course carried
round projecting bays.
INTERIOR: with wooden flooring carried on cast-iron columns
and T beams. Each floor with 46 columns arranged in 6
colonnades each supporting a line of paired cast-iron beams
running approximately east-west. From the ground to 4th floor
column circumferences become progressively smaller. Column
heights 2.4m except for those at ground floor being 4.1m. 5th
floor taller columns in 2 central colonnades support the roof
structure, lower columns forming 2 colonnades to either side
support massive cast-iron beams that originally bore water
tanks used in a low pressure hydraulic power system. Wooden
roof structure with queen post trusses having a single
wrought-iron suspension rod running down from the apex to the
collar in each truss; cast-iron brackets at the intersection
of timbers are used in place of timber joints. Staircases in
south-east and south-west corners; stone geometrical stairs
with original wrought-iron balustrades. Original cast-iron,
double fire doors from staircase on each floor.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this warehouse was the primary feature of the
goods interchange facilities at King's Cross. Designed to
store up to 60,000 sacks of grain which were moved by an early
use of hydraulic power to hoists, the Granary originally had 2
canal arms running beneath the ground floor with access to the
Regents Canal via an open basin or dock on the main south
front (now filled in). Rail access was from 3 lines running
east-west to the flanking transit sheds; platforms that served
these lines survive in the north-west and north-east corners
of the Granary.

Listing NGR: TQ3013683541

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.