This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5015 / 51°30'5"N
Longitude: -0.1623 / 0°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 527649
OS Northings: 179668
OS Grid: TQ276796
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.QX
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.4JK8
Entry Name: Paxtons Head
Listing Date: 27 July 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481562
Location: Westminster, London, SW1X
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Knightsbridge and Belgravia
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity South Kensington
Church of England Diocese: London
Public house. 1900-02 by G. D. Martin as part of the Park Mansions development. MATERIALS: red brick with stone dressings; first floor painted. Timber and glass ground floor facade with larvikite pilasters. Slate-hung Mansard roof. Red brick stack straddling the angle of the roof.
PLAN: single ground floor bar (formerly with subdivisions) with island servery. Corridor and stairs to right. Assembly room on first floor.
EXTERIOR: 7 storeys. Central entrance (with large fanlight) framed by 2-light, 4-centre-headed window on left, similar single light window on right. Further entrance on far right. On first floor, pairs of 4-centre-headed windows with small panes in the heads, in centre 2-light square-headed window. Second, third and fourth storeys with 3-sided bay windows framing 2-light windows in the centre. Fifth storey with broad segmental headed windows framing a 2-light window. Sixth floor 2-1-2 square-headed window configuration. Dormers in attic storey.
INTERIOR: Bar lined with plain and etched glass mirrors under square and semi-circular heads and rising to full height. Island servery with curved ends and fielded panel counter front. Contemporary bar back with ornate detail. Large gantry above counter probably mid C20. Lincrusta ceiling of 2 different patterns, that at the front with foliage trails, that at the back with geometrical designs. Fireplace to rear left with corbelled-out overmantel. Corridor also extensively covered with mirrors. Staircase to first and second floors with flat, pierced cast iron balusters. 2 brass light fittings on the half-landing to first floor. Assembly room with cast iron grill inscribed David Wilson & Co. 77 Lever Street, London EC'; floral tiled borders. Timber panelling to window jambs. Marble fireplace.
HISTORY: Licensed premise has occupied the site since at least 1632 when it was known as the King's Head. From the 1760s it became known as the Granby's Head or the Marquis of Granby's Head. In 1851-3 it was rebuilt and took the present name. The building is highly unusual in that it has retained its ancient usage within a large modern development.
A fine example of an ornate pub of c.1900 which retains its island servery and many of its other contemporary fittings.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings