This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2921 / 52°17'31"N
Longitude: -1.539 / 1°32'20"W
OS Eastings: 431539
OS Northings: 266092
OS Grid: SP315660
Mapcode National: GBR 6NJ.7QD
Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.8NR8
Plus Code: 9C4W7FR6+RC
Entry Name: Numbers 9-29 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 19 November 1953
Last Amended: 30 November 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481927
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV32
Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa
Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Leamington Spa Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA
SP3166SE WATERLOO PLACE
1208-1/2/411 (North side)
19/11/53 Nos.9-29 (Odd)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos 9-29 (odd) Waterloo Place)
Terrace of houses, now offices. Numbered left to right.
c1829-1832 with later additions and alterations, including
rebuilding of c1970 to left. Pinkish-brown brick with painted
stucco facades, Welsh slate roof and cast-iron railings and
balustrade. Late Neo-Classical style.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys with attic and basement, 35 first-floor
windows arranged 3:3:3:3:3:3:2:3:3:3:3:3. End 3-window and
central 5-window bays project.
Stucco decoration includes rustication to ground floor and
basement. Centre and end projections have slender, fluted,
Corinthian pilasters between windows and to ends through first
and second floors, surmounted by continuous double frieze,
with moulded decoration to projections, and by continuous
dentil cornice, with acanthus modillions to projections.
Further pairs of plain pilasters to projections, with
continuous cornice and blocking course. First floor: 8-pane
French windows with divided overlights throughout.
Second floor: 6/6 sashes throughout, sills. Third floor: seven
3/6 sashes, blind opening, two 3/6 sashes, blind opening, two
3/6 sashes, blind opening, nine 3/6 sashes, six 6-pane
casements, three 3/6 sashes, 2-pane casement, blind opening,
Ground floor: entrance to No.9 to left return, 3 steps to
glazed door with cambered overlight within rusticated
surround, and porch with 2 fluted Ionic columns between 2
pillars and with round-arched windows to sides.
Entrances to Nos 11-27 are similar: 3 steps, mainly
roll-edged, to two 3-long-panel doors, the lower panels
roll-moulded; a part-glazed, 5-panel door; similar 3-panel
door; part-glazed 5-panel door; three part-glazed, 4-panel
doors; a part-glazed, 3-panel door with lion-knocker; all with
fanlights, mainly with radial glazing to heads except Nos 23 &
25 have stained glass, and all with fielded-panel reveals, the
lower panel roll-moulded. All within 2-columnar Ionic porches,
fluted to Nos 17 & 19 and all with engaged Doric pilasters;
double friezes with 3 wreaths to upper frieze, cornice.
Entrance to right return a panelled door in projecting solid
porch with end pilaster strip, cornice, low parapet with
sunken panel and with 6/6 sash with margin lights to side of
Windows: three 6/6 sashes with flat arches; four 6/6 sashes,
two 1/1 sashes and two 6/6 sashes all with rusticated flat
Central projection has 3 tripartite windows, the centres a 6/6
sash between 2/2 sashes, with cambered, rusticated arches. Six
6/6 sashes, two 1/1 sashes and three 6/9 sashes all with
rusticated flat arches, and with sills throughout.
Basement: from left, 4/8 sash, blocked door, 4/8 sash, 3/6
sash, 6/6 sash with rusticated flat arch, 3/6 sash, glazed
door, 6/8 sash, 3/6 sash, part-glazed door, 8/8 sash, 6/6
sash, glazed door, 6/8 sash, 8/8 sash glazed door, 6/6 sash,
8/8 sash with rusticated, flat arch, 4-panel door with divided
overlight, 8/8 sash, part-glazed door, 8/8 sash, part-glazed
door, boarded opening, 8/8 sash, 3/6 sash, 8/8 sash and board
door. Hipped roof, ridge stacks. Attics have roof dormers and
skylights partly-concealed behind low parapet.
First-floor continuous balustrade has
double-heart-and-anthemion motif which projects over porches
and continues around left return.
Railings and gates across front and to sides of steps are bars
with alternating anthemion and fleur-de-lys finials, with urn
finials to end-posts, except railings to right house (No.29)
are replacements. Boot scrapers to the upper steps mostly
Left return: 4 storeys with basement and attic, 3 first-floor
windows, central projection. Rustication to ground floor and
basement. Tall, fluted, Corinthian pilasters to ends rise
through first and second floors, dentil and acanthus modillion
cornice. To third floor at ends are pairs of plain pilasters.
First floor has tall 6/9 sashes. Second floor has 6/6 sashes,
sills. Third floor has 3/6 sashes, all in plain reveals.
Ground floor has tripartite windows, 6/6 between 2/2 sashes.
Basement has tripartite sash, 4/4 between 2/2 sashes, and 4/8
sash with sills.
Right return: 4 storeys with basement, 3 first-floor windows.
Rusticated ground floor to front half; first floor has 4-pane
window with margin-lights, tooled surround and cornice; 6/6
sash; 8/8 sash. Second floor: sill band; blind opening, two
6/6 sashes. Third floor: blind opening, two 3/6 sashes.
Basement has 5/10 sash, panel door and 4/8 sash. To rear are
mainly 6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: some entrance halls have archways with fluted Doric
pilasters, most have dogleg staircases with stick balusters
and wreathed handrails, moulded cornices to many rooms, mainly
with egg-and-dart motif and decorated friezes to first floor.
Some marble chimneypieces, to No.11, first floor, a Regency
marble chimneypiece with Arts and Crafts tiles. Shutters to
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings and gates and railings to
sides of steps have alternating anthemion and fleur-de-lys
finials, with urn finials to stanchions; railings to right
(No.29) are replacements. Stick balusters to basement steps.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Waterloo Place was named in honour of the
Duke of Wellington who visited the Spa in 1827. The Countess
of Essex and Lady Hodson were among the first residents
(Roth D: A Pocket Guide to Royal Leamington Spa: Warwick:
1978-: 19; Leamington Museum files; Cave LF: Royal Leamington
Spa Its History and Development: Chichester: 1988-: 40).
Listing NGR: SP3153966092
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings