This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1979 / 52°11'52"N
Longitude: -1.547 / 1°32'49"W
OS Eastings: 431055
OS Northings: 255612
OS Grid: SP310556
Mapcode National: GBR 5NB.5PV
Mapcode Global: VHBY3.40HY
Plus Code: 9C4W5FX3+55
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Last Amended: 19 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381945
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482310
Location: Moreton Morrell, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Moreton Morrell
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton Morrell Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP3055 VILLAGE STREET, Moreton Morrell
1901-1/11/143 (West side)
05/04/67 Church of The Holy Cross
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of the Holy Cross)
Church. C12; C13 chancel and lower part of tower, the upper
part rebuilt 1966; re-roofed c1808; 1895 north vestry and
MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings,
some ashlar to chancel; brick vestry; old tile roofs.
PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north vestry, 4-bay nave with north
porch and west tower.
EXTERIOR: chancel has coped gable and diagonal buttresses;
3-light C14 east window with head corbels re-set from nave
roof flanking hood mould; north side has blocked
straight-headed opening with splayed jambs and chamfered
timber lintel with mason's mitres; vestry has north window
with 2 tudor-headed lights; south side has 2 offset
buttresses, 2 straight-headed windows, that to east C14, that
to west C15 with 3 lights with 4-centred heads.
Nave has diagonal east buttresses and gable partly rebuilt in
brick; north side has C14 entrance of 2 orders of moulding to
plank door with earlier rere arch and C19 timber porch with
Entrance is flanked by large early C19 pointed windows with
splayed reveals and clear glass. South side has shallow offset
buttresses, two C14 moulded pointed window openings with
tracery replaced by clear glazing, and blocked entrance with
inserted C19 plain pointed window; one buttress has random
date: 1717, another has scratch dial.
2-stage tower has large brick diagonal buttresses, string
course over lower stage and plain parapet; west window has C15
moulded arch to C19 Y-tracery; north side has re-set C12 round
window head; upper stage has C20 plain pointed louvred
INTERIOR: C18 plaster to walls; chancel has 3-bay roof with 2
collars to trusses and double purlins; double-chamfered
chancel arch with plain moulded caps; nave has 4-bay roof with
tie beams below wall heads, ashlaring with shields and king
and queen posts with diagonal struts, double purlins;
double-chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfer corbelled; C13
piscina to nave south wall has slightly trefoiled opening.
FITTINGS: chancel has C19 stalls and altar rail; nave has C19
pulpit incorporating early C17 lozenge panels; C19 font on
panelled octagonal shaft; C19 charity boards to nave and
tower; painted George III Arms over chancel arch.
MONUMENTS: Richard, d.1635, and Mary Murden; wall monument to
chancel south wall has twin arched recess with kneeling
figures facing across desk, flanking panelled plinths support
putti and entablature to broken pediment with angel and 2
armorial bearings, inscribed apron panel with enriched frame
and flanking cherubs; Elizabeth Hervey, d.1623 an infant,
small inscribed panel with enriched frame; Anne Bagshaw,
d.1689, re-set brass.
SCULPTURE: plain C12 tympanum resting on south window sill has
lintel with horizontal Celtic cross and diapered panel.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 357-8; Shell Guides:
Hickman, D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 131; Howell, AF:
Guide book to Church of the Holy Cross, Moreton Morrell:
Listing NGR: SP3105555612
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings