This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1969 / 52°11'48"N
Longitude: -1.5461 / 1°32'45"W
OS Eastings: 431121
OS Northings: 255508
OS Grid: SP311555
Mapcode National: GBR 5NB.CWN
Mapcode Global: VHBY3.510N
Entry Name: Moreton Morrell Tennis Court
Listing Date: 24 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482321
Location: Moreton Morrell, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Moreton Morrell
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton Morrell Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP3055 VILLAGE STREET, Moreton Morrell
1901-1/11/153 (East side)
24/06/88 Moreton Morrell Tennis Court
Real tennis court. Dated 1905. For CT Garland of Moreton Hall.
Brick in part with pebbledashed panels and ashlar or
reconstructed ashlar dressings; hipped tiled and glazed roof
with corner stacks.
STYLE: Edwardian Baroque.
PLAN: high single storey; 9-bay range with lower single-storey
flat-roofed ranges to front and left return. Front to right.
EXTERIOR: entrance to left of centre has doorcase with
consoled segmental pediment and fanlight over half-glazed
door; 4 steps up. Half-round bay window to left has blind
balustrade above. Court set back and rises above lower range
with brick pilasters and stone and brick frieze.
Left return, facing road, has low range with flanking 3-window
ranges set back with projection to each end; top stone and
brick frieze, cornice and parapet with blind balustrading;
centre has aedicule with Corinthian pilasters and open
pediment framing blind Venetian window with crest and
cartouche dated 1905 above; frieze continued either side over
rendered panels and end pilasters.
Flanking ranges have windows with sills and aprons, and
lintels over; tripartite windows to end projections. Court
rises above and has 7 pairs of 6/9 sash windows framed by
brick giant pilasters; blank panels to either end; iron
catwalk in front. Right return has similar details to court
above blank panels, also framed by pilasters.
INTERIOR: small entrance hall with mosaic floor, plaster
relief panel and modillioned cornice. Dining room and club
room have similar cornices, enriched plaster panels and
central skylights, and Louis XV-style marble fireplaces, that
to dining room of mauve marble. Dressing rooms, baths and
showers said to have original fittings. The court is complete
and has black plaster playing surface by Joseph Bickley;
lean-to galleries; ashlar-scored plaster above, and rich
cornice with festoons to frieze; slender iron roof trusses.
Squash-tennis court has tongue-and-grooved panelling and
gallery with balustrade. Principal gallery leads to workshop
and professional's flat. A good example of a real tennis court
still in use.
(Shell Guides: Hickman, D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 131-2;
Aberdare, Lord: The Willis Faber Book of Tennis and Rackets:
1980-: 281-2; Hamilton, Sir R: The Royal Game of Tennis
(privately printed): 1971-).
Listing NGR: SP3112155508
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings