This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2684 / 52°16'6"N
Longitude: -1.774 / 1°46'26"W
OS Eastings: 415519
OS Northings: 263378
OS Grid: SP155633
Mapcode National: GBR 4KR.NBW
Mapcode Global: VHB04.67JX
Entry Name: Former Chapel at Wootton Hall
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Last Amended: 28 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482616
Location: Wootton Wawen, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B95
Civil Parish: Wootton Wawen
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Wootton Wawen St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP16SE STRATFORD ROAD
1457-1/5/177 (North side)
05/04/67 Former Chapel at Wootton Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
STRATFORD ROAD, Wootten Wawen
Chapel at Wootten Hall)
Roman Catholic chapel, converted to a ballroom c1900, now
disused. 1813 with later alterations including range early C20
adjoining chapel and Hall (qv) to west; c1970s outshut.
Brownish-red brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings and
Welsh slate roof. Greek Revival with Mannerist elements.
Continuous nave and apsidal chancel, 4-window range, north
EXTERIOR: entrance to west end in early-C20 porch with
part-glazed, 4-panel double doors and overlight with radial
glazing. Porch partly obscures projecting entrance facade,
reminiscent of Italian Mannerist church facades, which has
Tuscan pilasters with frieze, architrave and cornice, blocking
course, curvilinear gable end with central Diocletian recess,
copings. Chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses between windows
and first-stage band. Behind this are giant end pilasters with
frieze, cornice and unelaborated pediment to gable end with
weather-vane and cross at apex.
Nave and chancel: chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses
between windows with paired pilasters to ends of nave;
first-stage band, frieze and roll-moulded cornice.
Nave has 4 round-arched window openings, one now blocked and
interrupted by garage doors to north side, otherwise with
multi-pane windows with radial glazing to head and margin
lights, the margins have stained glass.
Chancel has similar window to east end and Diocletian windows
to upper stage. Windows have sills and rubbed brick arches.
Curved roof to apse, otherwise gabled roof. Octagonal cupola
INTERIOR: Doric pilasters with frieze, cornice with triglyphs
and metopes, 2 fluted Doric columns to chancel with elliptical
arch. Entrances to apse have 6-panel doors, curved on plan in
moulded architraves with frieze and cornice on consoles.
Segmental-vaulted ceiling. To west end a gallery which gives
access to Wootton Hall (qv).
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
Listing NGR: SP1551963378
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings