This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2665 / 52°15'59"N
Longitude: -1.7747 / 1°46'29"W
OS Eastings: 415469
OS Northings: 263169
OS Grid: SP154631
Mapcode National: GBR 4KR.VGS
Mapcode Global: VHB04.693C
Entry Name: Gates and Gate Piers and Walls to the South of Wootton Hall with Wootton Bridge
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Last Amended: 28 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382252
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482618
Location: Wootton Wawen, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B95
Civil Parish: Wootton Wawen
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Wootton Wawen St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP16SE STRATFORD ROAD
1457-1/5/179 (North side)
05/04/67 Gates, gate piers and walls to
south of Wootton Hall, with Wootton
(Formerly Listed as:
Main gateway at Wootton Hall)
Gates, gate piers, adjoining low parapet wall to west for
approx. 6m and to east along Stratford Road for approx. 125m,
and then forming balustrade to Wootton Bridge for approx. 24m,
and bridge. Gates c1906, otherwise c1690 with insertion of
milestone on bridge in 1806; restorations to balustrade
including those of c1906 for Capewell Hughes and late C20.
Cast-iron gates, otherwise lias stone ashlar piers and
balustrade with replacement cement balusters and reddish-brown
Double gates incorporating piers surmounted by lamps and
pedestrian gates have bars embellished with panels of
scrollwork, and scrolled cresting. Main gate piers have
rusticated shafts and entablature, that to left surmounted by
Balustrade curves towards piers and has moulded plinth
surmounted by bulbous balusters and shaped copings,
interrupted at intervals by piers with moulded base and
cornice. The balustrade continues to bridge incorporating, to
north side, a milestone inscribed `To / London / 100 Miles /
Stratford on Avon 6 / Henley in Arden 2 / Birmingham 8 /
1806'; and to south side a pier inscribed `The / Stone Parapet
/ of this Bridge / was erected by / G H Capewell Hughes Esq JP
/ Wootton Hall / 1906'.
Bridge has 3 round arches with ashlar keystones and cutwaters.
The piers and balustrade are shown on a watercolour for
Capewell Hughes showing the park in the mid-C18.
All the listed items on the Wootton Hall Estate (Wootton Park)
form a group.
Listing NGR: SP1546963169
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings