History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2658 / 52°15'56"N

Longitude: -1.7727 / 1°46'21"W

OS Eastings: 415611

OS Northings: 263090

OS Grid: SP156630

Mapcode National: GBR 4KR.W3D

Mapcode Global: VHB04.797X

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 6 May 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482614

Location: Wootton Wawen, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B95

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Wootton Wawen

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton Wawen St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Wootton Wawen

Listing Text


WOOTTON WAWEN

SP16SE STRATFORD ROAD
1457-1/5/175 (South side)
06/05/52 The Priory

GV II

House with range adjoining. Probably early/mid C18 with
earlier origins and later additions and alterations.
Pinkish-brown brick to rear, painted pebble-dash to front
facade and Welsh slate and plain-tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: centre of 2 storeys; 3-window range. Single-storey,
single-bay ranges to either side. Centre: 2 roll-edged steps
to central part-glazed 6-panel door in fielded-panel surround
with overlight with glazing-bars in doorcase of fluted
pilasters surmounted by scrolled corbel brackets and hood with
dentil cornice. To first floor at centre a painted hatchment
with the motto `integritas in proposito', otherwise 8/8
sashes. Wide modillion cornice and hipped roof.
Side ranges have tall elliptically-arched recesses to centre,
now with wooden casements and further inserted casement to
left. Further left range. Modillion frieze. Tall left stack
and rear stacks.
INTERIOR: has boxed beams.
The name is derived from a small Benedictine priory or cell
dependent on Conches.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
1966-: 482).

Listing NGR: SP1561163090

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.