This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1213 / 52°7'16"N
Longitude: -1.7334 / 1°44'0"W
OS Eastings: 418351
OS Northings: 247030
OS Grid: SP183470
Mapcode National: GBR 4MK.SPS
Mapcode Global: VHB0Q.WYZ6
Plus Code: 9C4W47C8+GJ
Entry Name: Church of St Swithin
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483049
Location: Quinton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Quinton
Built-Up Area: Lower Quinton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Quinton St Swithun
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP1847 LOWER QUINTON
1912-1/14/155 Church of St Swithin
Church. C12 arcades; C13 chancel; early C14 chancel arch and
tower with C15 top stage and spire, C15 nave clerestory; C19
MATERIALS: coursed limestone rubble and ashlar; tile chancel
roof and lead aisle roofs. Coped stone gables.
PLAN: 2-bay chancel, nave with lean-to aisles, west tower, and
gabled south porch.
EXTERIOR: chancel has plain plinth and coursed rubble walls
with ashlar quoins and tile roof; 5-light C19 east window with
Decorated tracery; north side has 2-light C15 straight-headed
traceried window with labelmould with head stops and 2 splayed
lancets; south side has C15 window as above to left of blocked
single-chamfered pointed priest's doorway, and window of 2
single-chamfered pointed lights and a further reticulated
window to right.
Nave east end has gable cross and 2 small lights over chancel;
much-restored ashlar clerestory has cornice and coped parapet,
four 2-light straight-headed windows to south and 5 to north.
North aisle has offset diagonal buttresses, cornice and coped
parapet; porch with entrance of 2 orders and lateral
buttresses, side lights and tile roof; 3 windows of 2 lights
with Decorated tracery and hoods; 3-light windows with
reticulated tracery to west and east, the latter with blind
South aisle similar but with no cornice or parapet; blocked
entrance with continuous moulding and buttress to left; 2
traceried lights to east.
3-stage west tower has moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses and
2 string courses; top cornice and crenellated parapet with
continuous roll moulding and pinnacles; tall 2-light bell
openings with Y-tracery and stone louvres; to north a small
window to 2nd stage with inserted clock face, small window to
south; spire has 4 pinnacles to base and ribs, relief band
over 2-light lucarnes and weathercock.
INTERIOR: chancel has C19 collar and scissor-braced roof; wide
splays to lancets and cusped rere-arch to south window;
piscina with simple head; moulded chancel arch dies into
Nave has 2-bay Norman south arcade with stepped arches on
round pier with round base and responds, hoods with heads over
arches; later elliptical arch to west; 4-bay late C12 north
arcade has stepped arches on round piers with square bases,
responds with attached shafts and scalloped capitals; roof has
arch braces on corbels and double-chamfered principals; tower
arch has rich continuous mouldings, 2 former roof lines above.
North aisle has roof with cambered tie beams and richly
moulded purlin; piscina with trefoil head and scalloped bowl.
South aisle has cusped ogee-arched sedilia and 2-light
traceried double piscina.
FITTINGS: nave has painted Royal arms, 1804-37; 1925 pulpit
with moulded bands and pierced motifs. North aisle has round
font with scalloped moulding; some pews to west have moulded
muntins and top rails, used as model for C19 or C20 pews in
rest of church; C20 parclose screens forming chapel at east
end, altar rail incorporating C15 panel with blind tracery;
painted Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandment boards, 1826. South
aisle has organ to west end and painted 1860s charity boards.
MONUMENTS: Sir William Clopton, d.early C15, plain chest tomb
in south arcade has top slab with moulded edge and effigy of
knight; Joan Clopton, d.1430, chest tomb in south aisle has
panelled sides and marble top with inset brass figure, canopy,
inscription and shields; Thomas and Ann Lingen, d.1735 and
1737, tablet with armorial bearing and flanking Ionic
pilasters, apron, and crest with urn and cherubs; C18 and C19
wall and floor slabs to chancel.
Wall painting: chancel arch has arms of Elizabeth I over
partly visible Doom; south aisle has worn text in cartouche.
STAINED GLASS: 2 windows to north aisle have C14 fragments;
1870 glass to east window; several windows with armorial
bearings, 1922-1930, by Webb, to aisles; north aisle east
window incorporating C15 figure.
A well preserved church containing many features, monuments
and fittings of interest.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
Listing NGR: SP1835047029
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings