History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lower Quinton, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1215 / 52°7'17"N

Longitude: -1.7344 / 1°44'3"W

OS Eastings: 418282

OS Northings: 247057

OS Grid: SP182470

Mapcode National: GBR 4MK.SDN

Mapcode Global: VHB0Q.WYG0

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 27 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382670

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483054

Location: Quinton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Quinton

Built-Up Area: Lower Quinton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Quinton St Swithun

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Quinton

Listing Text


QUINTON

SP1847 LOWER QUINTON
1912-1/14/160 The Manor House

GV II

House. Late C15 with late C16 and c1830 wings; late C20
restoration. Timber-frame on ashlar plinth, partly roughcast,
and roughcast brick wing and outshut; tile roof with stone and
brick stacks. T-plan: C15 wing at right angles to facade, with
C16 wing to right and C19 wing to left.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; 6-window range. Entrance to
right of centre has heavy pegged frame and later architrave to
early C18 6-panel door with diagonal rear planks; C19 open
timber porch. Exposed close-studded framing to centre has
herringbone framing to gable head and 2-storey C19 canted bay
window with hipped roof and 1:2:1-light transomed and leaded
casements.
C16 wing has a single-storey canted bay window to right of
narrow window with transomed casement, similar blocked window
above visible internally, and 3 windows with cross-casements
and leaded glazing; 2 hipped dormers with 2-light small-paned
casements.
C19 wing has lean-to projection to ground floor with
1:5:1-light transomed bay window; 1st floor has 2 windows with
cross-casements. Brick end stacks and cross-axial stack,
originally a return lateral stack.
Right return of dressed stone, the 1st floor plastered, with 2
rounded bread ovens under tile roof and small shuttered
opening. Rear has projecting wing with close-studding and
simpler framing to gable, 2 3-light wooden mullioned windows
to ground floor flank small C20 light, which replaced C19
window; 3-light mullioned window to 1st floor; returns have
varied casements, one small light to right return, external
ashlar stack to left return.
Wing to left has outshut under catslide roof and entrance with
C17 or C18 4-panel door to right of C20 canted bay window and
small light; hipped dormer window. Wing to right has altered
lean-to outshut with glazed porch.
INTERIOR: C15 wing has exposed close-studding and broadly
chamfered beams. Front room has large ashlar fireplace with
stop-chamfered jambs and chamfered bressumer with mason's
mitres; rear room, possibly originally full-height, has
similar fireplace with internal benches, heavy plank door with
strap hinges to left is probably original. Room to left has
C19 marble fireplace.
C16 wing has exposed timber framing and rear of C15 fireplace
projecting from original external framing with carpenter's
marks; room has ex-situ C19 fireplace and dado rail; kitchen
to rear has 2 bread ovens, copper and low pastry oven; stair
has ovolo-moulded square newels, turned balusters and moulded
handrail. 1st floor has front room with plastered barrel
ceiling and fireplace to front room similar to that below, but
with stop-chamfers at uneven levels; partition wall has large
plaster armorial bearing with crest and mantling, retaining
some colour; panelling and two 2-panel doors with HL-hinges.
Rear room has exposed truss with braced tie and collar with
wind brace, partly exposed truss with raking strut. Room to
right has floral wallpaper possibly of some age. Attic has
plasterwork with 2 panels of raised lettering: WT/ 1616 and
CN/ 1828, one 3-plank door; exposed base to original diagonal
shafts to cross-axial stack.
An interesting and well preserved house where restoration work
since 1972 has revealed important features.
(The Bloom Collection: 65-6).

Listing NGR: SP1828247057

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.