This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1216 / 52°7'17"N
Longitude: -1.7352 / 1°44'6"W
OS Eastings: 418224
OS Northings: 247064
OS Grid: SP182470
Mapcode National: GBR 4MK.S4W
Mapcode Global: VHB0Q.WX0Y
Entry Name: College Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483051
Location: Quinton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Quinton
Built-Up Area: Lower Quinton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Quinton St Swithun
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP1847 LOWER QUINTON
1912-1/14/157 College Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Reported as having C15 origins, mainly C16, with
early C17 and early C19 alterations and additions.
Timber-frame on stone plinth with some roughcast to rear and
additions of coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings
and painted brick; renewed tile roof (replacing slate) with
brick internal stack and rear stone lateral stack with
offsets. 2-unit plan with cross wing.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic. East elevation of exposed
timber-framing; tall narrow central stair tower has large
gabled wing to left with catslide outshut to return and C20
lean-to conservatory to right. Entrance to wing has plank
door. Windows have mostly C19 or C20 casements. Right end
rebuilt in brick in early C19; return has segmental-headed
entrance with plank door and similar flanking windows and 1st
floor window with 3-light casement.
Rear has large lateral stack with 2 diagonal shafts and 2
small fireplace lights; to left a pebbledash section with
small light to ground floor and window with 2-light
small-paned casement to 1st floor; to right of stack a
recessed hollow-chamfered mullioned-and-transomed window with
labelmould to ground floor, similar 2-light window to 1st
floor and gabled dormer with 2-light window; gabled right end
is pebbledashed on high stone plinth, window with C20 casement
to each floor.
INTERIOR: broadly chamfered beams with stops and some exposed
timber framing and wall posts; room to rear left has large
stone fireplace, the rear of which is visible in the outshut;
room to right has large exposed fireplace with
2 small lights and bressumer; dairy to right end has hooks, no
beams; winding stair and 1st floor beams, framing and wall
posts; attic has trusses with collars and diagonal struts.
The farmhouse is still owned by Magdalen College, Oxford, from
which it derives its name.
Listing NGR: SP1822447064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings