This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2093 / 51°12'33"N
Longitude: -2.6452 / 2°38'42"W
OS Eastings: 355022
OS Northings: 145760
OS Grid: ST550457
Mapcode National: GBR MN.43N6
Mapcode Global: VH89S.3VFV
Plus Code: 9C3V6953+PW
Entry Name: 10, Market Place
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Last Amended: 31 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383012
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483430
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5445 MARKET PLACE
662-1/7/149 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.8 AND 10)
House with shop, now hotel, shop below. Late C16, late C19
shop front. Probably timber-framed in part, rendered, hipped
clay pantiled roof, brick chimney stacks.
PLAN: a long narrow range set gable to street, and with a
return frontage to the Market Place to the E; extended at the
rear, and refronted in the early C19 and raised one floor.
Extended at the rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement, single bay. Shop front
across ground floor, with 2-light display window and 6-panel
door to right, panelled pilasters, this fascia with cornice on
end brackets. Upper floors have 16 pane sash windows in plain
openings. East side flank has an offset above first floor
level, with a door towards the south end, and modern casements
above this at second floor level.
Extension to rear southwards, single-bay with casement window
to ground floor and 4-pane sash window to first floor.
Extending along most of the east side is a cast-iron verandah
with glass roof, to full width of pavement, an early C20 bus
shelter. Above this, at second floor, is a 3-light small-pane
casement, and to the left there is a casement at ground floor
and a 4-pane sash to first floor.
Plain south (rear) gable with a single-storey C20 extension.
INTERIOR: the cellar has a small bressumer fireplace. At the
rear is a good stick stair with winders to a roughly rounded
full-height newel. The first floor front room has 3 transverse
beams. The roof and upper floor probably a later build.
HISTORICAL NOTE: part of the Crown Hotel (qv). A photograph of
1902 shows the flank to the Market Place having a large
display window, and no glazed lean-to. Built in the late C16
by a canon resident in the Canonical House (The Exchequer) on
the site of the Town Hall (qv), in what was then his garden.
(Town and Country Planning Working Papers: Scrase AJ: Wells: A
Study of Town Origins: Bristol: 1982-).
Listing NGR: ST5502245760
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings