This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3083 / 52°18'29"N
Longitude: -2.6143 / 2°36'51"W
OS Eastings: 358215
OS Northings: 267973
OS Grid: SO582679
Mapcode National: GBR BQ.WM2W
Mapcode Global: VH84K.M7ST
Plus Code: 9C4V895P+87
Entry Name: Burford House and Garden Wall Attached to the South East
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483836
Location: Burford, Shropshire, WR15
Civil Parish: Burford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Burford, 3rd Portion
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO56NE Burford House and garden wall
582-1/8/19 attached to the south-east.
House. Early to mid C18, reputed to be built in 1728 for
William Bowles M.P., proprietor of the Vauxhall glass works.
Restored and altered c1954 for John Treasure. Red brick with
brick storey bands and brick parapet. Plain-tile roof with
brick coped parapets and gables. Brick integral gable-end
stacks with lateral and axial stacks. Double-pile plan with
rear parallel extension.
EXTERIOR: north front is a 3-storey 6-window range of tall 9/9
sashes to ground and first floors, and 6/6 second-floor
sashes, all with gauged brick lintels. Early C19 central
projecting porch with Doric columns and open pediment. Front
door set in panelled reveals, with pair of glazed panelled
doors with fanlight with radial glazing bars.
Later brick wings on east and west sides now demolished. East
side now with C20 multi-pane casements at ground and first
floor. West side with C20 first-floor sash and ground-floor
French windows with flanking casements, terrace to west formed
from demolished wing and incorporating stone from base of
Rear: 3-storey 5-window range of 6/6 sashes with gauged brick
lintels, central restored projecting porch mirroring the front
porch and with glazed door and fanlight with festoon and
radial glazing bars.
INTERIOR: contains some good panelling to ground-floor rooms.
The entrance hall has complete wall panelling, moulded
cornices, 6-panelled doors, and elliptical arched panelled
Brick walls approximately 3 metres high with weathered coping
extending from the south-east corner of Burford House
approximately 80 metres to the east and then 40 metres to the
Listing NGR: SO5821267972
Other nearby listed buildings