This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3088 / 52°18'31"N
Longitude: -2.6127 / 2°36'45"W
OS Eastings: 358325
OS Northings: 268028
OS Grid: SO583680
Mapcode National: GBR BQ.WMGR
Mapcode Global: VH84K.N7NF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483840
Location: Burford, Shropshire, WR15
Civil Parish: Burford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Burford, 3rd Portion
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO56NE Church of St Mary
Church. C12 chancel, C14 nave and tower, extensively restored
1889 by Sir Aston Webb.
MATERIALS: generally stone rubble with ashlar dressings, with
ashlar tower. Plain-tile roofs with ashlar-coped gables and
battlemented parapets with corner pinnacles.
PLAN: chancel with north vestry, nave with south porch, and
EXTERIOR: crenellated cornice to nave and chancel with twin
cusped niches and carved panel over each merlon including east
wall return of chancel. String course at eaves level with
carved figurative and armorial bosses on underside
corresponding to each embrasure.
3 bay chancel with short shallow buttresses and clasping
buttress to north-east. Restored arched 3-light east window
with Perpendicular tracery, and hoodmould with king and queen
label stops. South wall has 2 C19 flat-headed mullion windows
with cusped ogee and mouchette tracery with hoodmould over,
flanking chancel door: flat-headed doorway with recess and
cross-boarded door. To left is restored window of twin cusped
lancets with Perpendicular tracery over. North wall partly
masked by C19 north vestry.
Nave: mostly restored 3 bays of buttresses with gabled offsets
with cusped niches and pinnacles rising and piercing
battlemented parapets. Window in each bay of twin cusped
lancets and Perpendicular foiled tracery over and hoodmoulds
with label stops.
West bay of nave has south door with ogee arch with
double-ovolo arch chamfer and plain chamfered jambs.
Tower: angle buttresses with ashlar offsets. Late C19 west
door and window over with Perpendicular-style moulding and
tracery. Slit windows in north face. Upper stage with late C19
work by Sir Aston Webb: each face with 2 arched openings, each
incorporating twin cusped lancets with louvres flanked by 2
tiers of cusped niches. Cusped arcaded battlemented parapet.
Angle buttresses terminated with gablets with crockets.
INTERIOR: chancel with late C19 decorative barrel vault
featuring angels. C19 pointed chancel arch. Angle piscina on
south window jamb. Nave: C14 restored trussed rafter roof.
Tall tower arch with chamfered and hollow-chamfered reveals.
C14 font: octagonal with recessed panels with raised carvings
over stem with lancet arcading. Holy water stoup set in wall
to right of south door. Wrought-iron candelabrum and lamps by
Webb. C14 or C15 octagonal font with flower pattern carvings
on the panel faces, supported on an octagonal stem with blind
Remarkable series of medieval, C16 and C17 monuments to
Cornewall family, restored by Prof. EW Tristam 1938, all with
the shields of the family: Heart of Edmund Cornewall d.1436;
arched recess over stone tomb with trefoil arcading below,
possibly a re-sited altar. Life-size painted wooden recumbent
effigy of Edmund Cornewall 1508. Life-size painted stone
recumbent effigy of Elizabeth, daughter of John of Gaunt,
under enriched ogival canopy, d.1426. Immense wooden tryptych,
3.45 metres high by 3.05 metres wide, to Richard Cornewall
d.1568 and Janet his wife d.1547, and son Edmund d.1585. Frame
with fluted Ionic pilasters, inscribed fascia and pedimented
head with painted tympanum; interior has 3 painted full-figure
portraits in upper section and a 2.21 metre tall cadaver of
Edmund Cornewall is depicted in lower section; the wings are
painted inside and outside with figures and armorial shields.
Paintings are signed by Melchior Salabossh, 1588. Early C17
wall monument with 2 kneeling figures of Sir Thomas and Anne
Cornewall 1630 (`now living, he aged 58 and she 55'). Similar
monument to Thomas and Katherine Cornewall also 1630. Baroque
wall tablet to Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Cornewall d.1675.
Monuments to Rushout family of 1822 and 1827 both by Richard
Westmacott R.A. of London and of 1852 by Charles Geerts of
Louvain. Monument to Thomas Morres d.1752 and wife Elizabeth
d.1742 by Richard Squire of Worcester.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 91).
Listing NGR: SO5833468030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings