This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3343 / 52°20'3"N
Longitude: -2.6219 / 2°37'18"W
OS Eastings: 357720
OS Northings: 270876
OS Grid: SO577708
Mapcode National: GBR BP.V56W
Mapcode Global: VH84C.HLRC
Plus Code: 9C4V89MH+P6
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483940
Location: Greete, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Greete
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Greete
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57SE Church of St James
Church. C12 nave, C13 chancel, C15 and C18 alterations,
MATERIALS: rubble stone and coursed rubble with ashlar
dressings, partly roughcast rendered. Banded plain and
club-pattern clay tile roofs with ashlar coped gables at each
end and pierced ornamental tile ridge.
PLAN: chancel, nave with bellcote and south porch.
EXTERIOR: chancel east window of 3 restored stepped lancets
under brick rebuilt gable. North wall rendered, with Early
English lancet. Blocked doorway with shallow pointed arch.
South wall rendered, with 3 single C13 cusped lancets with
hoodmould to left window, carved head reset above central
Nave: rendered north wall on ashlar plinth. To left is one
twin oak mullion C15 window with carved cusped head within
ogee pattern border, to right one Early English lancet. South
wall rebuilt with restored oak window to right to match that
on north wall. Much renewed C12 central south door of 3 plain
orders of carving, plain tympanum and pillars and plain
cushion capitals. To left is restored twin cusped lancet and
single Early English lancet. West wall set on ashlar plinth
capped with roll-moulded course with projecting central flat
buttress with ashlar capping at upper 2 stages. Norman lancet
set in buttress. Later bellcote set on gable-end: twin
bell-openings with roundel over, and roof of coped ashlar with
corbelled and nailhead enriched eaves.
C19 gabled tiled south porch with arch-braced collar truss set
on a simple traceried arcade set on high ashlar plinth.
INTERIOR: chancel with 3-bay single-purlin roof with 2 king
post trusses. Piscina with projecting fluted bowl and sedilia
set in rere arch in south wall. C19 pointed chancel arch set
on simple shaft column.
Nave: restored arch-braced rafter roof with collar and
Pulpit with C18 panelling. Memorial tablet with cornice and
pyramid over with inscribed quatrefoil, to Catherine wife of
John Hall d.1775. C14 font with plain octagonal bowl, base and
concave pedestal, and with C17 cover.
Listing NGR: SO5772070876
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings